Looking for large carp

E

Eccles

My friend and I are both keen carp fishers (me fly, him more gear but we both do both). We are in State College and are wanting to make a special effort to locate some bigger fish (20lbs+) in local waters, particularly those that might be suitable for just driving out to for half a day's fishing, a few hours on the water sort of thing - sometimes family in tow.

I'm assuming spot burning isn't so much of an issue when it comes to carp so wondered if anyone could point us at some good water. We've been to Bald Eagle (Sawyers Dam) a few times, caught lots but not found anything big. We've had a good look at the upper Juniata (Little J confluence down to the old dam) and again caught lots up to mid-doubles but so far nothing bigger. And we've had a go at a few other places too (Shawnee for example) with mixed success.

Can anyone suggest a local water or two we can concentrate on regularly this summer that holds carp of the caliber we are after?

many thanks

Eccles

Actually since we camp a lot with our families it would also seem silly not to also ask if anyone can think of a nice state park in PA with camping and large carp at the same place. We went to Glendale Lake (Prince Gallitzin) last year and though the weeds were annoying there were some very nice fish showing. And the park was good for children and other halves.

Anywhere else we should have a look at?

many thanks

On the W Br Susque, below the dam at Williamsport, I saw more carp than I've seen anywhere else. Mike O Brien does guide trips flyfishing for carp on the West Branch. Whether you would find any that are particularly huge though I don't know.

Some of the biggest carp may be in lakes and ponds in parks where people feed them bread. High carb diet!

Thanks troutbert,

We'll look into the W Br Susque.

Not so sure about the places people go to feed them. It may be carp fishing but we do have some standards....

Eccles wrote:
Thanks troutbert,

We'll look into the W Br Susque.

Not so sure about the places people go to feed them. It may be carp fishing but we do have some standards....
:-o ..........:lol:

http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/2011/06/pennsylvania_carp_enthusiast_endorses_national_carp_week.html

Juniata River has some very hefty carp (55 lb state record is from the Juniata.) Find slack water and toss in boilies made with strawberry jello. Amazing bait. Or fly fish for em but I always spook them trying to catch them on a fly in the Juniata. There are some monsters for sure though. If you cast a few rods with the boilies and still fish and wait you should get into a few.

afish

Thanks for the link.

jifigz

Boilie making is part of my fishing upbringing (before I saw the fly fishing light of course) but I'll have a squint at jello as an ingredient - thanks.
Could you be more specific with where you are thinking about on the Juniata? We know it down to Raystown but none of it intimately and nothing further downstream from there. Fine if you don't want to reveal anything of course.

afishinado wrote:

http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/2011/06/pennsylvania_carp_enthusiast_endorses_national_carp_week.html

I caught one that big with a pumpkinseed jig up near Bainbridge waiting for the white flies to start. I would meet my bait fishing buddy there and I would wade around with tube jigs and spin gear trying to locate smallies for the white fly hatch.

I saw a fish tailing in a fast riffle...tail was big so I cast above it and it passed my jig three times before I finally lead him enough. When hooked it took my whole spool (Over 100 yards) and I was down to the arbor knot so I started following him. to get more line on the reel. It took me 45 minutes to get him back across the river. and down to my buddy who was wading waist deep in short pants. The fish swam through his legs That was the first time I/we saw it, he about Sh#t. Then he gilled it and lifted it up above his head and the tail was still in the water.

It measured the length of my arm with fingers extended plus a hand high. We estimated it at 34 ". Now that was 12lb test. -

Eccles wrote:
afish

Thanks for the link.

jifigz

Boilie making is part of my fishing upbringing (before I saw the fly fishing light of course) but I'll have a squint at jello as an ingredient - thanks.
Could you be more specific with where you are thinking about on the Juniata? We know it down to Raystown but none of it intimately and nothing further downstream from there. Fine if you don't want to reveal anything of course.

Sure. I am not too familiar with the branches of the Juniata as I assume you say that you are familiar with the Raystown Branch down to about the lake? Either way any protected slack water areas in the upper Raystown Branch should hold carp at certain times but probably not all that many large fish like I find in the middle Juniata. I live right on the river in Granville and know of a few good slack water spots here to find them. Also, the boat launch in Lewistown is right at a huge cutback and there are often carp in that protected water as well.

jifigz

Thanks for the info - thats all good to know. We are sure to come down that way as soon as the white stuff finally disappears.

many thanks

My largest carp (38") came out of the Juniata River.

BrookieChaser wrote:

There is an island right off from the property that I live on and the carp gather there each late May/Early June to spawn. You should see some of those monsters. They are there every year. Too bad they want nothing to do with eating. There are a ton of them there too.

There are some monsters in Raystown Lake. Quite a few places to stay and things for the whole family to do also. I've seen some in there that I swear I could jump on their backs and ride them around. LOL

Brookiechaser wrote:

So 'cause I grew up weighing carp in pounds and ounces I don't have a grasp of how big 38" is. I mean, obviously BLOODY BIG, but weight wise I don't have a feel for it. Care to hazard a guess at how much it might have taken the spring balance down to?

jifigz wrote:

There is an island right off from the property that I live on and the carp gather there each late May/Early June to spawn. You should see some of those monsters. They are there every year. Too bad they want nothing to do with eating. There are a ton of them there too.

Thanks for this - I am looking on google maps now ........!

Lake Erie along the shoreline, have seen some monsters. might get a shot this year for them. here's my buddy with glass rods only !

Attachments

• ryan carp.JPG
    ryan carp.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 22
  • ryan carp 2.JPG
    ryan carp 2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 19
Sandfly that second pic is very nice, makes me want to make the trip.

Eccles wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Thanks for this - I am looking on google maps now ........!

If you'd like to, PM me. I have excellent access To the river from my property and would fish with you anytime. I could show you where the carp are in that stretch of river. I'm out there A LOT bass fishing and whatnot so I'd probably run in to you anyways.

Sandfly,

Yea, that's the sort of fish we are after!

jifigiz

Many thanks for that. PM'ed.

Back