Looking for a particular style of eye for streamers

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I am looking for the plastic dumbbell eyes with the chrome dumbbell. They look similar to regular lead dumbbell eyes but they are very light in weight.

You used to be able to find them everywhere but I can't find them anywhere now. If anyone knows where I can get some of them I'd appreciate a head's up.

Here is what they look like on a fly

P5100027_zpsf772382e.jpg

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim......If anyone can help you find barbell eyes , I would say it would be Bob Clouser , your info says you are right there near his shop , i'd stop in and ask them. They will he3lp you if they can. GOOD LUCK!!!! NICE FLY!!!!!

Tim,

Not familiar with the eyes you are probably thinking of. But clear cure goo makes some eyes that are similar...dumbbell style but still unweighted.

http://www.clearcureeyes.com/page2/page2.html

They look great, and are easy to use. Downside is they're pricey.

Hi Tim - Don't recall those type barbell eyes being made of plastic, but they are available in brass. Pretty lightweight compared to lead...

Pseudo Eyes

Dear Jay,

Those Clear Goo eyes do look great. Unfortunately, they are a little more money than I am willing to spend on a fly that I'll probably leave on a tree stump or rock. ;-)

Regards,

Dear Board,

Just an FYI but Allen Fly Fishing offers brass dumbbell eyes with the yellow plastic eyes for less than half the price of most other suppliers.

Allen gets $ 5.50 for 25 and most other places want $ 5.00 or $6.00 for 10 to 12 eyes.

I'll be placing an order with Allen for about 100 of these puppies later today. That ought to cover me a for a couple of years.

Regards,

eyes_zps68746354.jpg

copy the picture and paste into an email message. then send out an email to multiple fly shops. maybe one shop may still have an inventory of these eyes on hand. you never know if you dont try it

Tim........there is always DIY you could make a mold and melt down some lead and make your own.......i have a friend who loves to jish for walleye and he uses these things called bottom bouncers he makes them himself.

Dear osprey,

I'm already a little bit goofy, I can't afford to be messing around with melted lead! ;-)

I've decided I can make do with the eyes from Allen Flyfishing. They aren't exactly the same as the ones in the picture but they are the closest version out of all the close enough versions.

I just wish things wouldn't change so dang much, I like things the way they were!

Regards,

Wouldn't bead chain eyes work in this case?

They make aluminum sea eyes there like dumbells eyes. Plus clear cure goo makes plastic dumbells eyes.

i recognise them - real eyes plus, by spirit river. again i buy them from the bearsden. lol.

every clouser and jig fly i have uses them.

Dear geebee,

Close but no cigar. I came to find out they were sold/made/marketed by Universal Vice who went out of business in the late 1980's-early1990's.

You should buy your Real eyes plus from Allen though, you get twice as many for the same price.

Regards,

Dear Tim,

good to know.

Geebee ;-)

Back