Looking for a mentor... (SWPA)

R

Ryan7839

Hi guys,

First post here. I have been fishing and active in the outdoors my entire life. I have always had my dad or someone with some experience get me into my current passions. Bow hunting, fishing, hiking whatever they may be. I am looking to get started in the sport of fly fishing. I live right on the Yough River. I have fished many of the smaller streams also while growing up around the Laurel Mountains. If anyone is local to me and willing to grab a beer and go over some of the basics that would be awesome.

I've taken the orvis classes as a way to get an introduction, but nothing beats some real world knowledge.

Welcome. I'm not in your area, but hopefully someone nearby reaches out. I'd recommend looking into local TU chapters or FFF clubs.

Thanks for the advice Steve. I see that my local TU chapter, 670, has a meeting next week. I am going to try to make that one! What is FFF?

There is alot of fantastic trout water near you, don't just limit yourself to the yough, Western md is great as well.

If you read my meadow run post, I have been out of the game a year, but I would be up to meeting streamside to fish and chat. I can guarantee I am a little rusty on the mechanics of the game, but all the technical knowledge of patterns, tying, leaders, rods, fly lines, gear etc should all still be in my noggin! Or, give me a month or two of fishing, and I should have the mechanics back on point to help you out better on the catching part.

You are in a much better part of the world to learn than me! I live in Pittsburgh, but my FF career started at PSU(like thousands of us)

Patrick

looks like your making all the right decisions...Welcome aboard and good luck

You wouldn't happen to be THE Ryan Sheehan from Baldwin would you?

Back