Looking for a Lt Wt spin cast rod

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

Man....it's tough to find a inexpensive (aka cheap) spin cast rod in mid-summer!! (Not spinning rod)

I ordered an Ugly Stick GX2 Casting Rod in a "Medium" weight. Gheez.....the Med Wt is like a 2x4 in stiffness....good for maybe no less than hauling in a 200-lb fish!!

Well, I'm sending it back but if anyone has a spin cast rod they wanna part with send me a PM.

Obviously since I spent a whopping $40 on the one I'm sending back I'm not looking for anything costly.

Thanks much!!

A medium action rod in the bass fishing world is incredibly stiff compared to what we are used to in fly fishing. Casting gear is usually built with fairly heavy lures and heavy lines in mind and the action descriptions are relative to that norm. Even "light" action spinning and casting gear can be pretty stout. It's tough to find factory built light and ultra-light casting gear, especially in the lower price points.

I saw your other post regarding re-building a 7wt into a casting rod. I think the better course of action would be to build a cheap spinning rod blank into a spin-cast rod. Light and ultra-light spinning blanks can be found fairly cheaply. Turning the 7wt into a casting rod would probably work, but the effort of removing and re-wrapping guides, etc. is just not worth it in my experience. It might not seem like it at first glance, but starting with a brand new, clean blank is so much easier.

If you are looking for a softer action spin rod...at a moderate price.....

Fenwick eagle in med-light

Fenwick HMG

Cheaper price point:
Berkeley lightning rods med or
med/light. Tough to beat for the price.

Thanks for the comments and input. I've searched the internet until it felt like my eyeballs would fall out!!!

I know it's not the time of year to buy an inexpensive rod, as 99.9% of places are sold out of what I'm looking for.

But I "found" a rod that will work on FishUSA. I found a Shimano Sensilite Casting Rod for $50. The Power is Light and the Action is Fast.

Should be right where I want a rod to be.

The only thing I don't like is the 7' rod is a one piece. I may just cut it and install ferrule's. I'll see when I get it.

Again, thanks for your input!!

Just an update....as I was looking for a cheap rod.

I purchased the Shiamano Rod.....including shipping it was $65.

Then, because it was one piece, I ordered ferrules with the epoxy and string to install. Cut the 7' rod in half. Worked out very well. Cost for that $16.

Then, I didn't care for the "short" cork grip. So....I took a wine bottle cork, drilled it out, sliced it, and slipped it over the extended grip and glued it to the existing cork. Worked out well. But then for better grip, and looks, I ordered a shrink wrap grip cover to make it look and handle good...and keep the cork grip together. Cost $12.

Add it all up and I got $93 into my "cheap" rod!!

I'll post pics of my rod modifications.

8h5OLPql.jpg

FruOktGl.jpg

Back