Looking for a Large Arbor fly reel.

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
I have an Orvis Hydros 10’ 7 wt. fly rod that i am looking to pair up with a Large Arbor fly reel. I plan to use it for Erie Steelhead, smallies and perhaps, salt. A notion that I considered is if at some point I purchase a 9wt for Salmon that I could get another spool to cross over. Looking for a sealed drag system. I have been searching the web and to be honest I am numb. There are literally dozens if not more machined sealed drag LA reels out there. Seems the price point for such is anywhere from $300-$800.

So what reels in this category have you owned/used, your opinions and how much did they cost/are they worth the dough.

Hopefully this will be my last LA purchase for steelhead. I dont want to spend a fortune but dont want to buy junk either.

Thanks in advance.

I bought a Lamson Speedster 3.5 in the Swap Forum few years ago. Has had no problems with salmon or bonefish. Only issue is cosmetic and the "Speedster" stencil wore off. Can't go wrong with quality Lamson LA reels.

Second vote for Lamson. I bought a Remix HD for salmon this year and am really impressed. The drag is excellent. And the “hybrid” of a machined fully caged reel with cast spools is a great value.

Lamson have 3 of them the drag is the same from my lightspeed to my konics. Excellent sealed drag and the type 3 Anodizing is almost bomb proof. Life time warranty.

Maurice,

We're working on a new 8-weight shootout right now, but unquestionably the best buy is the Orvis Hydros SL. You can jump up to something better, but you'll be paying for better ergonomics (handle, drag knob, etc), looks, and a US made product, not necessarily a big performance upgrade.

I'm not super familiar with that rod, but you'll probably enjoy fishing a lighter reel on it than would typically work well on a 9wt.

Maurice, I was looking at Sierra Trading Post and came across this reel for sale. It's a Lamson 8/9 weight reel. I don't know if this has what you're looking for, but it seems like a good deal and it also seems like the other posts sing the praises of Lamson reels... Hope this helps.

Sierra Trading Post Reel

You know what Jonas (Feathered Hook) says about that stuff. For trout and similar species (on the smaller side) put your money into the rod (not the reel). When going for the big boys (and girls) put your money in the reel.

You might check Craigslist.

Orvis hydros SL is a nice reel for that setup. I use mine for smallies and the occasional large carp on my 9ft 6w

Thanks for all the responses guys. Keep me coming.

I use a Lamson Velocity IV for my steelhead 7wt switch rod. It has never failed me. It is honestly the only freshwater reel that I ever needed the drag and that is on the Salmon River where the steel have room to run.

Sierra Trading Post usually has Lamson reels available. Although that website has jumped the shark. Inventory and discounts are not as good since TJ Maxx bought them out . . .

I absolutely love my two L.L. Bean reels. I have a Double L and a Streamlight Ultra and can recommend both reels. I have the older Double L with a mid-arbor but now they make them in Large arbor. The Streamlight Ultra is an Ultra large arbor and I can confirm that it is gigantic.

I missed the part about a sealed drag, however. Only the Double L suggestion has a fully sealed drag.

Another vote for the Hydros SL. I have the IV on my 8 weight. It's a nice reel and hard to beat for the money.

BCSTEEL.JPG

e-setter wrote:
Another vote for the Hydros SL. I have the IV on my 8 weight. It's a nice reel and hard to beat for the money.

BCSTEEL.JPG

Now that’s a sales pitch!

Lamson Litespeed 2. I got a brand new on an Ebay auction for $175.

There is an auction underway now - just 2 hours left. The reserve is $180.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamson-Litespeed-Micra-5-Fly-Reel-Size-3-5/152808185223?hash=item239413dd87:g:KvQAAOSwQXZZ3Qoh

So the story ends with me buying a Scientific Angler Ampere Voltage IV. They were blowing them out at the Orvis outlet. Got it spooled with backing and an Access line for a little over $100. I went there for the Hydros SL but they aint got nuthin but scraps.

So thanks for the LA shoot out gang. I appreciate the input. I will let ya know how this SA performs on big fish over the holiday.

Back