Looking for a good 4wt reel

tjsingle

tjsingle

I recently inherited a 6'-6" Philipson fiberglass 4wt fly rod, and I'm really excited to try it out soon. I was looking for a good fly reel to mount to this short rod, I think that a large arbor would be too much reel for this rod. I plan on using this rod for smaller streams and tighter areas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

Pflueger Medalist(new bar stock or original) or Orvis Battenkill click and Pawl only because they're sort of throw backs to an earlier era. And they're good reels.

Go with a cheap mid arbor (large arbors are way too much reel for a rod like that). No real reason to spend money on a 4wt reel. All that reel is going to do is hold line. Lots of decent ones for around $50. Piscifun is my choice unless you have more money then you know what to do with. Looking around for something used might also be an option.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Go with a cheap mid arbor (large arbors are way too much reel for a rod like that). No real reason to spend money on a 4wt reel. All that reel is going to do is hold line. Lots of decent ones for around $50.

+1. Okuma Sierra ($40) is my reel of choice in this segment. It's a disc drag, which I prefer to click and pawl, even in a small reel. I have two of them for my Brookie rods.

Swattie87 wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
Go with a cheap mid arbor (large arbors are way too much reel for a rod like that). No real reason to spend money on a 4wt reel. All that reel is going to do is hold line. Lots of decent ones for around $50.

+1. Okuma Sierra ($40) is my reel of choice in this segment. It's a disc drag, which I prefer to click and pawl, even in a small reel. I have two of them for my Brookie rods.

I was looking at the Sierra, I have an Okuma SLV for salmon, and the quality is awesome.

Any suggestions for fly line?

Nothing in particular...I just use a Cabelas or BPS house line on those reels.

Okuma Sierra is a fine choice for that size of reel. I have a 5/6 and love it. Nothing fancy about it but it gets the job done!

Maybe a reddington or a lamson. Great reviews on the zero and the liquid.

Orvis CFO II (new version) or III (old version).

Yo tj

Swattie's suggestion of Okuma Sierra is great. I have 2 and they are bulletproof. One thing to consider with glass (and boo) is a heavier reel balances better. Modern reels are designed for superlight and fast plastic tubes.

I think you want a 3wt click pawl reel since the rod is 6"6'.. I feel if you get a "normal" 4wt reel it will be heavier on the back end.

Ended up with the Okuma Sierra 3/4, perfectly balanced on the 6’-6” rod. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Back