Looking for a decent reasonably priced reel

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

I'm looking for a reel that I plan to give as a gift to a youngster who wants to learn how to fly fish. It will be used in combination with either a 5 or a 6 weight rod and perhaps both rods.

I looked at the Allen Fly Fishing website and was wondering if anyone has any experience with their reels, especially the cassette reels? Or perhaps you might suggest something else?

I want something that will last in the hands of a responsible 13 year old. I'd like to get a reel and maybe two lines and backing and be around $ 100.00 - 125.00. I am also considering the Orvis Battenkill disc but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim,
I work in the sewer known as Harrisburg and live just North up 322. If you are looking for a cheap reel.... how about an STH cassette for $0. PM me. It's a little scuffed but works well and should get the little guy started. I may even have a new RIO line (mainstream or grand) sitting here collecting dust. If you want to donate to my fund to buy the dog some new leg braces, you are welcome to do so. :)

Andy

Tim,

I have the Allen XL series reel in the 5/6 model. I absolutely love it. Nice high quality machined aluminum reel for a very reasonable price. I'm planning to get a 7/8 for steelhead this fall.

There was another thread where the owner of Allen offered a discount for board members here. Not sure if that still stands.

Greg

Back