Image00003.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 3
  • Image00008.jpg
    Image00008.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 4
today and it was heavy brad.....all over the bank and in the air

cold and high water brad...

http://youtu.be/A-dtjQm40C8

I'm going to guess wasp. Am I'm close? Hope you didn't get stung. :p.

No upright wings showing yet?

Nice video and nice casting. What's your setup and did you pick any up?

Grannoms?

They were not yet showing on Fishing Creek at Lamar nor Penns creek as of Friday. Of course, nothing on Oil Creek today, the 21st. With the warm temps and sun and continued seasonal conditions; no high water and no temps in the 20's, I would strongly suspect Grannoms on Oil Creek and Sugar Creek and Little Sandy by next weekend. Maybe earlier. There were no fish up against the ice dam trying to migrate upstream. There also are no forsythia blooming here yet. So that establishes that the spring progression is pretty far behind. The 21st is the standard date for grannoms and when they are done, I would fish for migrating smallmouth below the dam. I see NONE now.

Kray you are right, its the south east Asian red azzed wasp. there butt turns bright red when they are about to sting...

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/sandflyx/media/DSCF1978_zpsaab34bd9.mp4.html

sandfly,

Spent 5 days last week at camp on Kettle Creek. Seen these same caddis's on the bank and not many hitting the water. See these same caddis's in the fall and they act the same way then,hug the bank and not many hit the water. It seems they dont fly over the water much even on sunny days. Seen very few fish rise to them spring and fall. Also brown stoneflies and a few hendrecksons. Water still very cold not a single fish came off the bottom to feed on top.

There were 3 of us fishing there, only fish caught were on a local streamer pattern. I was just fooling with new patterns. 8 fish were caught in that stretch. One guy from Gaines says he uses the Gallagurs revenge for the caddis, but they were not working yesterday. only a brown streamer.
here is the gallagur's revenge;

Attachments

• DSCF2008 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF2008 (400x300).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2
I never get excited about grannoms, have hit spectacular hatches on penns and others, and not a single fish rising, or even eating them subsurface.
if the trout don't eat em, I don't fish em.

Man I hate this time of year up there! I'm coming up in a few days, boys. I'm guessing all the small streams will still be too cold, Pine will be borderline (though the reports from Slate Run are getting better), I may fish Kettle a lot as it seems like its in the best shape.

Sas,

Me and my son will be up there this weekend fishing Kettle. If your coming over that way for the day look me up I'll fish with you. Was there last weekend the water was in great shape on Sat and Sun. Fish were starting to work the top a little, but you know me it was wets the whole time and I did ok. Water still on the cool side and the fish are hugging the bottom. We're to have a decent weekend so that water temp will come up a few degrees and fish might work. Let me know here and I'll PM you directions to our camp.

I might take you up on that. My cousins will be with me (they're not proficient at fly fishing, and one cousin never did it before so Lawd have mercy!)

What about Cross Fork? I assume a trib to Kettle will be in better shape than some of those small tribs to Pine.

Sas

Cross Fork Cr was running a little high but nice and clear. She is cold, your not going to move any fish on the top for sure. Little Kettle had a good flow to and the upper section of Kettle was in good shape to. I think Kettle is going to fish a lot better. Starting Thursday through the weekend weather is going to be pretty good. We'll be fishing the big water and bombing them with wets.

Okay I'll talk to my cousins, gonna plan on after lunch on Saturday til Evening.

Back