Long, Double Hook San Juan Worms

F

Fishidiot

Been experimenting with some junk flies and have always liked very long SJWs. These ones are tied with a stinger hook at the back of the worm. Connection is 20lb mono.

Attachments

• SJW2.jpg
    SJW2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 14
Afish - pretty interesting. How did you tie in the mono? spiral wrap, or spot wraps?

Looks like I'm the idiot!

Nah...just wanted to make sure those flies are not attributed to me...... :roll: :lol:

When these come tumbling from the riffle, the trout think the ice cream truck came by.

djs12354 wrote:
How did you tie in the mono? spiral wrap, or spot wraps?

I pinched the 20lb mono together with two strands of chenille, then palmered the three together with mono fly tying thread.

afishinado wrote:
Nah...just wanted to make sure those flies are not attributed to me...... :roll: :lol:

Ah yes...
Afish, of course, is known to be a gentleman and fly fisherman with class.

I - on the other hand - am a junk fisherman who knows no shame. :cool:

You should see my Squirms. Rothrock almost had a heart attack when I showed him.

Nice ties have you fished them yet ?

Were did you buy your squirmy material at Becker and do they have green weenie color ?

"strung out" san juan worms have been around for awhile

strung_out_san_juan_worm_red.jpg

i319311sq02.jpg

f_5233c_1.1.jpg

strung_out_san_juan_worm_red_1024x1024.jpg

Wow! They look good enough to eat! Storage might be a pain. I'm thinking a small 6 compartment Plano box would work.

This is a fly fishing site-- just sayin'.

if i saw any of these left behind on a tree branch...I would not retrieve them---just sayin'.

Dave, I think you have to give yourself a bit more credit! Those, in my opinion, are not junk flies. I guess it depends on your definition of junk. Are green weenies, those oddly named monstrosities Becker loves, Czech or other overweighted over colored nymphs that bounce along the bottom till they get snagged in a fishes mouth :) junk flies? Sure. But San Juan worms, no. I was really impressed by the macroinvertebrate survey that was posted in the general forum last month. In the top 5 of every stream, and often in the top two was this little guy:
taxon35.jpg

So these flies are every bit as good an imitation of a natural subsurface food source as a PTN or GRHE. And they look a lot better than the standard SJW to boot!
My only worry is that a stinger like that might be a snagging hazzard.
Mike.

Nice...I just bought some worm colored chenille today

Czech nymphs and flies with weight are now in the junk category? That's a new one...does using split shot turn the most purist fly into junk?

PhilC wrote:
does using split shot turn the most purist fly into junk?
No, you need a tungsten bead.

Back