Lodges in the Poconos?

Deuterium

Deuterium

I'd like to begin exploring some of the streams in the Poconos. Recommendations for lodges or fly fish friendly accomodations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Many years ago Sky High Lodge did something.

Pocono Manor offers access to a private stretch of a pretty good Brookie stream, if that's your cup tea. Decent accomodations, $100ish a night I think. Not sure if they make guests pay for the permit to fish or not.

Otherwise if looking to fish on public access water any hotel or campground should do fine. Just drive to the streams you want to fish. A good number of options on SGL's, SF's and SP's, but be aware that if it's not on public land up there, there's a near 100% chance it's posted. Just the way it is in the Poconos. Much different than NC PA.

There's a really nice public CG close to some good public land fishing options. I used to stay there a few times each year until last year when I had a nasty run in with the owner over a booking mistake they made. They mistakenly booked me for 3 nights when I only booked for two. The girl at the desk acknowledged the mistake when I checked in and corrected our reservation and apologized...All was good. Until I went to check out and the owner insisted I pay for the third night even though I didn't book it, and they were nowhere near full. We eventually "agreed" that she would charge me for half of the third night (she already had my cc from the reservation) and I would stay at one of their competitors in the future. Silly, as I've probably spent $1500 there in the last 10 years, had she checked her records. Anyway, it's a nice CG amenity and location wise, I just won't stay there any more on principle. Won't call them out here by name, but if you're interested, PM me.

What part of the Poconos? It is kind of a big area. I think that the eastern Poconos is very different from the western Poconos.

Canoetripper wrote:
What part of the Poconos? It is kind of a big area. I think that the eastern Poconos is very different from the western Poconos.

I plan to make multiple trips to the area so recommendations spread across the Poconos would be welcome.

If you hit up the western Pocono area you got some great fishing with the Lehigh River , Francis E. Walter dam , Forth Run , Hickory Run and Nescopeck Creek and A number of good class A streams. As for places to stay I know of people who have come to the area and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and the Comfort Inn and near White Haven and were happy there. You could call The Evening Hatch fly shop or AA Outfitters and they may be able to give you better ideas of where to stay in the area.

Easy!

http://www.sylvaniatreefarm.com/

My wife and I stayed here in the Promiseland cabin. You have a small private wild trout stream right beside your cabin. I caught wild browns here. The Delaware River is a walk down the path and there are numerous ponds with bass and pickeral in the area. The Lackawaxen is a short drive and tons of small wild trout streams. Dyberry special reg areas are a short drive and so are upper and lower woods ponds.

The cabins are top notch and the people are great. Hot tubs and hammocks. They come fully equipped with dishes and everything you will need but food.
I recommend getting food before you arrive.

I would stay at the Hampton Inn in Stroudsburg. Mcmichaels, Brodhead, Pocono creek are all within a 5 minute drive from the hotel. Many brook and brown trout streams are within 20 min. Its a great starting point. Heck, you can even fish the trout unlimited stream restoration spot behind the hotel if you want to. Id recommend exploring the poconos in the fall. Most if the creeks are on a drop right now and the streams are getting low.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

Back