Lock Haven Water Supply Streams

bbillings30

bbillings30

I've noticed that several streams in the Lock Haven area have signs saying the stream is part of the Lock Haven water supply and that camping, fishing, pets, fires, etc. are prohibited. McElhattan Creek and Chatham Run are a couple examples, but I'm sure there are others. While hiking on the paths along these streams I noticed that lots of people had pets along the stream. Are these signs old and outdated, or is it just that nobody abides by the rules on the sign? If pets are allowed, does that mean fishing is allowed on these streams that are part of the water supply? The water quality must be pretty good on these streams if it's the drinking water for the town, so I'm guessing the fishing would be pretty good too!

The sign at McElhattan Creek specifically says that fishing is prohibited in the lake and all receiving streams. What is a receiving stream? Does that mean I can fish the section above the lake, below it, neither, or both?

Thanks for your help!

Technically the stream above the lake is a receiving stream because there is a lake at the top also. I've fish McIlhattan Run above and below both reservoirs, I'm not saying it's okay, just that I've fished it.
If you really want the answer call the water authority.

I got a good laugh out of seeing "Bees" as one of the prohibited things on those signs. Referring to beekeeping I guess? In my mind though I picture someone sitting in the woods waiting to catch rogue bees and forcibly remove them from the area!

I've also fished some of the water Chaz mentioned, and saw others fishing the stream last time I was there. As he said, doesn't mean it's 100% okay

While in college at Mansfield studying fisheries back around 2006, we electrofished McElhattan run both above and below the reservoir over the course of a weekend and set up temp. loggers throughout over a year's time. We camped out near the old house and dam and were filmed for the Alan Probst All-Outdoor show. We shocked up a few native brookies in the 13-14" range below the reservoir and caught browns over 20" in the reservoir on rod and reel. The study was to determine if the reservoir was causing thermal pollution downstream...we found none...did shock up a sizeable watersnake though at the culvert hole downstream of the old house...haha. All was done through permission of the Loch Haven Water Authority.

Back