Loads of stripers, Morrisville, Pa.

M

Mike

Just a heads-up that the tidal rapids known as Trenton Falls at the head of tide on the Delaware Estuary continues to be concentrating large numbers of stripers ranging from 14-34 inches. Because they are tidal, the rapids are ripping at low tide and relatively calm in places at high tide. Electrofished and tagged stripers there yesterday...captured about eighty in 3000 seconds of electrofishing time. About two thirds were 16-24 inches. Most of the rest ranged up to 34 inches. Numbers will greatly decline by Memorial Day.

I'm gonna have to get to the salt sometime.

PACO...this is freshwater. No salt tolerant equipment needed.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
I'm gonna have to get to the salt sometime.

+1^ I heard there is going to be a salt Jam in november sometime :-D

I plan on fishing this section of the Delaware River on Fri. I will post a report when I return.

Fished there today for an hour or so with no luck. Always a pleasure to have some time casting the heavy stick with big flies but man am I anxious to catch my first striper.

Fished the Delaware around Morrisville on Fri. afternoon and also had no luck. I didn't see anybody in the boats catching any either.

What is access and wading like in that area of the river? The furthest south I have fished is Washington's Crossing area. I don't have a boat so I always figured the tidal area was more or less off limits to me. I'd love to check out a new area and learn another part of the river.

Found access right away in Morrisville. There's a park in town that has a trail, the trip down from the trail to the river was actually pretty tricky though. I fished the outgoing tide and wading wasn't bad at all. You can go out quite a ways in some spots before you hit the water that's really pushing hard.

if you want to be catching stripers from Trenton down, get a tide chart for Trenton and fish 2 hours before and 2 hours after the high tide...best time to get them..

that could be interpreted a few ways, do you mean that the best fishing is in the four hour window around high tide? my few attempts this year i've been getting out 1-2 hours after high tide, which was the best i could do schedule wise. i have friday off and will be fishing the delaware but may head upstream a bit to scudder falls, sounds like an interesting area for some other species if stripers aren't around.

Back