Loading up The Reel

Baron

Baron

I have a reel that is rated 5-7 +/-. Martin. I want to put a 4DT on it. I'm curious if I've been doing this right: I loaded on the line with no backing and when it is all on I tie on the backing an wind it until it is where I want it, not too full and not too empty. When I have it just right I take it all off and turn it around and put it on the right way.

Comments, Critiques and preferences?

I am thinking that once I put the line on and tie up the backing I might put masking tape over the flyline so the backing doesn't sink into the gaps as the reversed the fly line will not find gaps to sink into on the backing.

That is the preferred method. It's a bit of a pita but it works a lot better than guessing.

Just wanted to be sure as its how I've been doing it and It seems to have worked. The first time I did not use the tape as a leveler and I had to take it all off, chop some and re-load. Trying to avoid that this time.

You also need to make sure that, on WF lines, you have the running line end attached to the backing.
Although every line I've bought lately has had a tag attached showing which end is which.

Agree that is a PITA to do.
I usually end up doing it in my living room, which is the largest space in our house.
And looping it around in big circles, while trying to avoid tangles.

Most reels come with a backing capacity chart, showing how many feet of it would be appropriate for each line size
If you buy your line from a shop, they probably have a line winder that measures how many feet of backing should be put on.
Simplifying this a lot

Dry,
I enjoy the process. My house is square with a path completely around and I simply walk around to belay or uptake line as intended. Historically, and being new to flyfishing, I have had a tendency to over-fill the spools. It took a long time to figure out why. Doing stuff myself, whether done correctly or not) gives me more understanding about the whole process.
Tonight I picked up a Medalist 1494 1/2. I'm looking forward to loading it as well.

Baron

There really is no BETTER way.

I've been doing reverse load method for years and even fabricated myself a line winder with two sets of winder arms and a backing spool holder that allows me load the line, followed by the backing and then reverse the whole thing on to the 2nd winder arm followed by the reel in a flash with no tangles.

I can also use the winder to strip & load spinning & baitcasting reels as well.

I never found a need to tape over the fly line to level things out. I guess I know from experience how much backing is too much.

The tape is an insurance to protect me from my inexperienced self. Probably don't need it either but I had a few where I had to do it twice.

Baron. The tape sounds like a good solution. Maybe add a piece of construction paper over the line before tying on the backing to prevent sticky tape residue from gumming up your line.

Now we’re talking sense. Thanks. It’ll be easy.

Back