LL Bean Waders

thebassman

thebassman

Hey guys,

Just wanting to get your impressions on the LL Bean Rapid River chest waders? I am in the market for a new set of waders and am looking at the Redington Sonic Pro Waders either the waist or chest, or the LL Bean Waders. I am leaning toward the Bean because of the warranty, but did not know how well these held up compared to the Redingtons.

Also, what are the advantages to the waist v. chest on streams like the LL?

I just bought the LL Bean Rapid Rivers. I've only had em out once, so there's not much I can say about longevity.

I paid awfully close to $200 even, forget the exact amount. They gave me the impression of being fairly, thick, beefy material, which is often good for longevity but bad for breathability. That said, the one day I had em out was 100 degree day with a several mile hard hike into brookie waters, and they seemed plenty cool.

The seams that circle the legs seem weird, and generally more seams is a bad thing. But they are there to create articulated knees, which was very nice when walking, and in walking I probably stretch the material less than I do with other waders.

Advantage of chest waders is that you can go deeper, obviously. While I seldom fish over my waist, I often wade that deep to retrieve flies and such. Also, with chesties, you typically get the chest pocket. Advantage of waste highs is that it's a little cooler in hot weather.

Go LL Bean. Their lifetime warranty wins in any head to head competition of like kind comparisons.

I have the mid grade waders (forget the name) and they've done well for me so far. Only had them on for about 10 days of fishing though.

I sent you an email through your blog.

Dear bassman,

I just wanted to add another vote for the LL Bean Rapid River waders. I bought a new pair this Spring and while I have only worn them about a half dozen times I am happy with them.

I will add that I think that unlike some other brands LL Bean's sizing is true to the published specs. I tried some other brands that said the body dimensions were comparable to the LL Bean waders and they clearly were a half size or more smaller. That's important to know if you are buying the waders online without the opportunity to try them on.

The waders are well built and appear to be ruggedly constructed with extra layering in the knees. I think it may be a just a little too much extra layering myself. Extra layers reduce breathability drastically. They do however increase durability so there is a trade to be made.

Bottom line is if I get 3 or 4 seasons out of them I'll be happy with them. I think that spending $ 50.00 - $ 60.00 a year to stay dry is reasonable and I got the Rapid Rivers on sale in my ginourmous size for less than $ 200.00 courtesy of an emailed coupon from LL Bean so I'm on track to stay within my budget.

Good luck!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I had the Rapid Rivers for about a year when they developed a leak in the crotch. Up till then I was very happy with the comfort and performance of the wader. Nice thing about Bean is I got full credit for them when I returned them. I upgraded to the Helix model, which is also very nice.

I have had a pair for a few years and love them. I have about 150 days on the water with them and only one self induced leak. Very happy with the performance.

I'm on my third pair of Rapid Rivers in about three years. First two developed crotch leaks and were returned/replaced. I don't get out as much as most and was surprised when they gave out in less than a year. I'm 6'-3" and was thinking that may put some extra stress on the seams when walking/bending. I do like the breathablity and flexibility of the RR. I'll probably go with the upgrade to the Helix if I have more problems.

The Rapid River waders are on sale at LL Bean right now, and they're running out of sizes. I wonder if it's a closeout sale, but I'm too lazy to call....

Back