LL Bean RiverKeeper wader boot laces

skeeter

skeeter

Well I have owned the LL Bean RiverKeeper wading boots for about a year and I have my first major gripe with the design. The lace holes are really tough on the laces and they wear the heck out of the laces till they break, which is my current situation. The laces that came with the boots are half the problem. It seems to me that LL Bean, in their design of the boot, thought the laces of wading boots are porous too, so they designed a gummy, non-porous boot lace which plainly just sucks. You can't pull the laces tight at all. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on wading boot laces cause right now I have a pair of old hiking boot laces on them and they aren't going to last long.

Parachute cord. I replaced my laces on my Rivertreads 2 years ago with it, and it works great. No sign of wear at all. Just melt the ends so they don't fray....

I got mine at the Bean - it was a package of 100' (black). You can also find it here.

H.A your a good salesman!

skeeter,

Same boots, same problem.

I wish I had ask H-A first. I got Simms laces and they are doing great after a year. I think they're basically the same as the para-cord just more expensive.

BTW: Other than the lacing system the boots are great. I have the studded aquastealth soles and have had zero problems wading and walking. Great customer service, too!

I bought these boots last fall, and am not real happy with them.
Besides the lacing problem, I don't like the tongue on them. It seems unnecessarily thick and stiff. When I put them on, it's a bit of a chore to get it folded down right, to get the laces good and tight.
Any of you other guys have this problem?

GENIUS. Thanks HA! I am giving the cord a try. I looked around a bit more and ordered Military Spec Cord instead. Seems it should be a bit stronger than the camping style cord.

Flyswatter, I agree they are a good boot for under $100 bucks. I actually got mine for $68 at a LL Bean outlet store.

I tend to agree dryflyguy. I always blamed the waxiness of the laces and felt they were 'stubborn' when lacing up the boot. My thoughts were if the laces tie tight by moving more smoothly through the loops; then the tongue tightens tight to the lower shin. However like you said, maybe it is the bulkiness of the tongue exacerbating the issue.

skeeter wrote:
I always blamed the waxiness of the laces and felt they were 'stubborn' when lacing up the boot. My thoughts were if the laces tie tight by moving more smoothly through the loops; then the tongue tightens tight to the lower shin.

The para-cord takes care of this nicely. I broke my laces the second time I used my boots. I tried to buy a new pair at the store, and they didn't sell them! Looking around at the hiking boot laces, I thought they were all too thick. The parachute cord was on clearance for $4 for a hundred feet, so...

I'm sure the para-cord isn't as invasives unfriendly as the original laces, but it sure is more user friendly. :)

Back