LJRA River clean up April 9th

joereese

joereese

Great food and a good opportunity to see the river and speak to locals who fish it often.

April 9th 9AM

Attachments

• LJRA cleanup 2011.jpg
    LJRA cleanup 2011.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 10
Hope the weather is conducive to the clean up.

Seems to be many guys from Altoona on the site here- wonder if they will be attending?

The lunch is really nice event in itself. See you there.

Lunch is great!
If you are from out of town, its a good opportunity to fish afterwards

Unless there's a torrential downpour I'll be there. I didn't make it last 2 years because my kid was to little. She can tag along with dad now, so we're in.

they are predicting sunny weather, 50s for the clean up!

I'm coming this year. Looking forward to meeting a few new faces and helping my favorite river.

Low of 38 the night before and looking for a high of 53 Saturday. I'm just hoping there isn't too much rain in between now and Saturday so the river remains fishable for the remainder for the day.

anything could happen, it's the weather afterall, but it should be fishable b/c they are not predicting a large amount of rain. the light rain showers will be spread out over multiple days.
Bring a wading staff. It will probably be around 500-600 cfs.

Are you a member of the LJRA? http://www.littlejuniata.org/
You can sign up on line and pick up your hat, sticker at the clean up.

Are you a member of the LJRA?

I am now... Thanks!

Is this a work-boot or wader kind of event?

Albatross,
This is mostly a work-boot/muck boot event. There are a few people who are designated to bring waders to retrieve trash in certain places (such as the "islands" area upstream of the yellow house). This is organized ahead of time.

Another "in the water" event is held at the end of the summer called the low water river clean up. Bill organizes a bunch of canoes/boats to retrieve trash in the water. It isn't practical to do it in the spring due to the heavy flows.

snacks (tasty cakes) are available before the event starts and group leaders will have water, bags and gloves for their crews.
The lunch is fantastic- all homemade hot food. Sux this year for me b/c I'll have it head out right before lunch, bummer.

Greg, my buddy Leo and I made it to the clean up yesterday.

The water was real high so we could'nt wade to reach some of the trash- there will be a lower water clean up later in the summer and make use of boats.

In the 3 years I have made this event- this was the lowest turn out probably 40-50 people.

The hot lunch was gain very good. I love soup.

The payoff was we found good water to fish (not the J) and all of us caught fish, had a bwo hatch and Greg caught a 23 inch hog!

Bill Anderson reported more than 150 people at the clean up this year! They were able to do more of the river this year (except for what couldn't be reached due to the high water) than years past.

Acristicked- it's hard to really count the number as some go right to the barree area and others up near tyrone.

Keep your eyes out for announcements about the low water clean up this summer, riverbank restoration (to keep the J clearer after rainstorms) and they may start work around Sandy run to turn it into a wild trout "sanctuary" and rearing grounds as early as this fall!
More information about Sandy run can be found at http://www.littlejuniata.org/articles.php?id=4

Had a ball cleaning and fishing with Acristic and Leo. We actually saw a solitary grannom Saturday. I look for the hatch to begin this week.

150 people- WOW!

Awesome. That is good news!

About 8-9 of us did from the campground below Barree up to the tresel above the Rockroth lot.

sorry I missed this ,,,,I would have loved to help clean up the best trout water in PA !

Back