Lizard Creek - Carbon County

henrydavid

henrydavid

I'm a northerner and am looking for ideas on where to fish the SE opener. Mainly because that it's not too far away in Carbon County I am interested in Lizard Creek. Besides the fact that it is a tributary of the Lehigh I know nothing about this creek. Does anyone have and wish to share any information on the creek, flows, etc. Not looking for hot spots or honey holes, just a decent starting point. Or any other nearby SE opener options.

Thank You in advance

Hahaha, well....pm me. I don't have the time at the moment to respond, but I found it hilarious someone wants to travel to fish this creek. If you are going to travel to the opener, there are better options.

Carbon County is not in the SE region, so it's opening day will be 2 weeks later. Be careful about county lines and don't place yourself in a situation where you could get in trouble.

Lizard is open due to its starting point outside of Carbon. Just like the Mahoning. I haven't forgotten about you Henry. I will respond to your pm when I get a chance.

Ahh I didn't check any exceptions when I posted that.

This is just a suggestion, but the mouth of the Little Schuylkill where Mike is almost begging people to fish might not be a horrible spot to try. It's not much further and might have less anglers present on opening day.

I like the help regarding the Little Schuylkill in Port Clinton, but that specific segment is only stocked inseason and not stocked for opening day. Flows tend to be unfishable there on opening day.

One year a ways back...10 yrs? my family camped at the Bake Oven Campground...(it was 95 degrees in July) so yeah, right on the mark. Anywhoo...its on the Lizard Crik and the campground allows stocking by the PFBC and therefor access. So one morning after a night of no sleep in a tent (like a turkey under a tinfoil roof) I ventured out to the crik at daybreak and fished about 150 yards behind the campground, I am sure it was probably too warm but didn't care. I caught a stocked brookie and a small wild one. So there is that.

That's all I got.

Then we hiked the AT for about a mile to the Bake Oven Rock? Crazy overlook...that iffin yer skeared of heights, stay off the edge. (or take a change of skivies)

We cut our stay short by two days, it was too hot.

henrydavid wrote:
I'm a northerner and am looking for ideas on where to fish the SE opener. Mainly because that it's not too far away in Carbon County I am interested in Lizard Creek. Besides the fact that it is a tributary of the Lehigh I know nothing about this creek. Does anyone have and wish to share any information on the creek, flows, etc. Not looking for hot spots or honey holes, just a decent starting point. Or any other nearby SE opener options.

Thank You in advance

Just a suggestion; if you want to skip the opening day hoopla and fish without a crowd, there are a whole bunch of non-stocked trout streams holding wild trout you can fish right now in and around Luzerne County. I counted close to 40 Class A streams listed in the PFBC website for Luzerne County alone. Add to that other wild trout streams not Class A and you probably have close to 100 choices in and around your home area. You would be driving over and past dozens of really decent trout streams to fish Lizard.

Shane is a native and knows his stuff; add to that the Easy Bake Oven story by Mo, and I would consider giving some of the streams right around where you live a try.

Good luck.

http://fishandboat.com/classa.pdf

Thank you for the input. I've fished dozens of Class-A streams throughout Luzerne, Wyoming, Sullivan, Colombia & Carbon counties, along with the DHALO and fly fishing only stretches. I am planning on fishing the Lehigh near White Haven this week.

Stream temps up my way are still quite cold and I was looking for something new and different that falls within the SE opener range.

Back