Lively Legz

salmo

salmo

I was wondering. I have tied for many years, but my technique is poor and I don't tie a lot (maybe 2-3 dozen flies per year). What do the tyers on this site think about useing Lively Legz on nymphs? I've never fished their flies.

I am not fan...just not my style

I just tied a dozen and am anxious to give them a try. From the facebook post the lively legz boys do well with them.

I have used them in the past and I have not noticed a catch rate difference. Good guys and the customer service is great. If ya like them use them.

Easy to work with for tying. Look great. Not much fishing experience with them. I have heard good reports though

what am I supposed to do with all my crappy hackle butts now?!

Ive tied thousands of these flies. If you have any questions on tying with them feel free to hit me up.

There is a little learning curve to tying them but once you get it down it only adds a few seconds to each pattern. I do really well on them but also do well on other nymphs.

This would be the way I would describe legs on nymphs:

Lively Legz: great for the profile of the nymph, no added movement

Rubber legs/crazy legs: some added profile, but added movement

soft hackle: not much for profile, but a lot of movement.

I haven't tested lively legz against soft hackle, but compared to standard nymphs I saw a 3:1 pick up on a LL pheasant tail vs a Standard pheasant tail. I fished them tandem, and alternated the location of the nymph to be sure they weren't just hitting the anchor fly.

They work well, but somedays the fish are keying in more on soft hackles, and other types of patterns. But I have tie and caught piles of fish with LL and will attest that they are worth it to have a few in your box.

I was lucky enough to get some of their new micro legs and try them before they hit the market. Loving that you can get a true size 16 LL nymph now. The tabs to tie with are the same size and they are quite easy to work with. I was worried they would be a bit tough for us fat finger guys.

Thanks for all of the great responses

Back