Little stoneflies - When have you seen them?

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
I saw little black stoneflies on Yellow Breeches today (Dec 28th). I usually expect to see little brown and black stones around late January and they're much more common in late Feb and March in my experience.

Any thoughts on this? When have you seen the typical little stoneflies?

My experience is the same as yours. The little blacks show up near the end of January, and peak in February. The little browns appear in late February and may last until April.

I've never seen either in December.

Dave_W wrote:
I saw little black stoneflies on Yellow Breeches today (Dec 28th). I usually expect to see little brown and black stones around late January and they're much more common in late Feb and March in my experience.

Any thoughts on this? When have you seen the typical little stoneflies?

Definitely early, but I recall see hatches in early January just after New Year's Day over the years on more than one occasion .

Like in your fishing report, nothing rising to them in the colder water is pretty typical.

Stoneflies often excite the FFer a lot more than they excite the fish in the stream during the wintertime.

There are a few families of very small black colored stoneflies that emerge throughout the winter such as willowflies, forestflies, needleflies, and snowflies. I live right next to Cedar Run (limestone trib of the Breeches) and see them sporadically from December-March , sometimes on quite cold days. Once March hits the larger ones (approximately a sz16) start appearing in greater numbers and consistency.

Here is some info about what many call "Tiny Winter Black Stoneflies" that hatch in the winter >

https://wiflyfisher.com/Little-Black-Stonefly-Hatch.asp

Back