Little Sandy Creek

T

Tseg17

Has anyone ever fished this Creek in NW Pa. recently or in the past? Thinking about starting at the fly fishing only section and head upstream a bit. I guess my concern would be with what the current flow may be. Thanks.

This may be of no help to you ...
But It's been a very long time since I've fished little sandy, I used to fish it when I lived in Ohio.... and would come across to fish Oil Creek, and hit little sandy. I remember it being a lovely little stream, very beautiful surroundings and very peacefull. I remember a big pool under a bridge. the creek had very nice insect life. I imagine it's low now with the heat. I think one of the members here recently commented on recent land posting on LSandy ... ?

I also remember another really pretty creek in that area that was really canopied and more remote ... Caldwell Creek. if my memory isn't totally shot .... those 2 creeks could be a nice day of " summer bluelining" ... again pending the local heat and impact on the water temperature.

If you venture out on Safari to those 2 creeks ... I'd be real careful about the ticks in those woods ... the cover has to be thick now, and I'll bet the ticks are thick as well. I got a "hitchhiker" on me back in May ... was either from the Letort .... or hiking up Cross Fork creek near Kettle. I got him ... but it really worried me.

Before you head out to bushwack, knock down a few belts of Rebel Yell 100 ... the little devils will die from the 1st nibble!!

Have a great time !!

Little Sandy has water. It's not as bony as some other trout streams in this area. I can't give you much advice on it. I live 5 miles from it and I rarely do any good on it besides during sulfurs right above the water intake dam. A few weeks ago, walking the dog over the old RR bridge, I saw a big, fat Palomino in the upstream hole. Last year I fished from 62 upstream with a foam ant and caught nothing. It's a stream that lacks habitat. A lot of habitat has trees , logs and roots covering it. Just guessing, I'd say try the start of the fly section and go UP or start at the bottom of the fly section and go up until the bend where the bridge construction is. Really, it has a lot of flat water and some kinda-pools that just don't have much of anywhere for a trout to hide. It needs a few 10's of thousands of $$$ of heavy rock for stream improvement to boost the habitat. You can see the washed-in and washed-out remains of major TU projects right at the head of the project. Ironically there are NO fish where those projects are. Actually, there's hardly any WATER at one project! The best approach is to fish at night at the plunge pool below the old RR bridge, but I'll never do that. I know someone who does., though. Yuk.

Neither Polly nor I have had/seen a tick since April.
Syl

Hey thank you both for your experiences with this stream! I really appreciate it. Lots of great information!

Back