Little Sandy & Caldwell C&R Fly Only

P

Putyaonagurney

Well it appears the fingerling stocking experiment on these 2 streams has concluded. There was no fall stocking of either fingerlings or adult trout. Anyone fish either of them recently? I have not had the chance. I was curious if anyone that fishes these streams regularly has an opinion on how it went?

Anyone know what they plan to do in the future?

Fished Little Sandy in the Regs area this past Sun. Did pretty well. Including 2 good wildbrowns 18 and 12. I wasnt aware this stream was fingerling stockedbut I did catch about a half a dozen tiny 5-6"browns, and they didnt look wild to me because of the lack of par marks. More man made holding structures would make this stream even better.
Back in June i stopped by Caldwell at the upper end of the regs section and didnt even smell a fish, although i didnt hike in very far.

Fished Caldwell FFO section several times over the last couple years and was disappointed every time. The fingerling program has been underwhelming for Caldwell. Better off fishing Pine between Caldwell and Oil.

I've fished Sandy enough times with poor results to not be very excited to fish it, and I live about miles away from it. It doesn't need fingerlings. What good can fingerlings do to a 1 mile section of stream? Plus the flood last June really scoured out some straight sections. Many sections of man made cover were washed-out. it lacks habitat to hold fish through most of its length. I did better OUTSIDE the FFO C&R section.

I hear you, like many creeks in our area, it doesn't fish near as well as it did 20 years ago. I no longer bother with it unless I'm driving past it and I have some time to kill.
What changed? habitat? stocking? fishing pressure?

I've never been very impressed with either stream - going back 30 years or more now.
Although I honestly can't say anything about how they fish recently - since I don't even bother with them anymore.

I fish Little Sandy every now and then. I agree with other posters that, for whatever reason, it doesn't fish as well now as it did 20 years ago, especially in the special regs area. I do seem to do better outside of that stretch. It needs more structure for sure. TU has worked on it a number of times. But nothing seems to help or last. Maybe tearing down the dam at the trestle would help the water by speeding up its flow to create its own structure. It's becoming a safety hazard anyway.

Back