Little Salmon River NY

kobalt335

kobalt335

I'm just looking for any information on this stream. I've fished the Salmon River in Pulaski many times, but now that I have a camper my wife and son want to go for a long weekend. We found a campground that is on the little Salmon River.

It'd be great to just stay there so I can sneak in a couple trips throughout the day, but I'm not against driving the Pulaski a couple times. We are looking at early October, any information would be great, this campground has River front access but any other points would be appreciated.

Should be ok. Mid October might be better. Run of the mill smallish ontario trib.

I could be wrong but I remember hearing somewhere that the Little Salmon River is mostly private.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I could be wrong but I remember hearing somewhere that the Little Salmon River is mostly private.

That's what I heard too. The campground I'm looking at has stream access along it, but I was hoping someone would know of some kind there access points ( if any are available).

kobalt335 wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

That's what I heard too. The campground I'm looking at has stream access along it, but I was hoping someone would know of some kind there access points ( if any are available).

In NY, they publish maps of public rights which are easements purchased by the NYSDEC for public fishing. I'm not sure if the maps show any area open nearer to the lake or near your campground.

Here are the maps for the Little Salmon >

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/pfrlitsalmon.pdf

Have fun!!

Good map, but I don't see my area on there. I'm not against putting some time in to wonder around. Hopefully there is a few nice pools at the campground, and if need be Pulaski is only 20 minutes away. Thanks for the info!

Most of it is private. To be honest I dont think you'll get too much info on this creek on the internet. Most people are tight lipped regarding smaller streams with lake run fish.

As long as there is enough water, every trickle going into lake ontario will get salmon, browns, and rainbows. It helps if the trickle is stocked.

Afish-

That is not the right little salmon river, but the dec page is a good resource.

I'm pretty sure majority of the little salmon is private. DEC Maps will show you where public fishing rights are but some of them are not accessible because they're landlocked.

And based on my experience......the DEC might help you get punched in the mouth when you pull it out to show the property owner that there are public rights where you are standing. "Thanks for showing me that fancy map. How about I pound your head flat and shove that map up your azz?" was his response. LoL. I'm 5'8".....he's a 6'4" logger so I moved before I head to buy custom made hats and poop map for a week

Here is a decent way to cheat to see what streams were stocked:

https://data.ny.gov/Recreation/Fish-Stocking-Lists-Actual-Beginning-2011/9hpx-asd8

I used Oswego County, but you can use any county that borders Lake Ontario. High water years are usually better for smaller streams, and they also usually fish better in the spring than the fall.

Even if a stream isn't stocked, in good years there should be plenty of strays in streams.

It's been a long time since I fished that stream,but from what I remember it was mostly a shallow stream with fast water.I remember parking at a bridge near a convent,I think,where there was some deeper pools.I think a lot of it is private.I did have a few good days there but it has been a long time that I was there,20 yrs maybe!

Back