Little Lehigh

T

Troy

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering how the Little Lehigh fished in the winter. I will be fishing it on Friday. I took a vacation day for Friday thinking it was going to be warmer. Well, it was supposed to be in the 40's, but I guess after Mother Nature found out I will be taking a vacation day, she changed the forecast on me. It is now going to be around 32 and windy. I never have fished the Little Lehigh. Where is a good place to fish? I will be coming from Reading. I need to catch a trout in February to keep my strreak alive. I have caught a trout in every month since Jan. 2005. I haven't caught a fish this month yet. I practice catch and release so don't fear that I will be harvesting any fish. Thanks for your help!

Troy

Troy,

The Little Lehigh may be your best option for winter fishing. Here are directions: http://www.littlelehighflyshop.com/map.html
You can fish right in the area of the flyshop and upstream/downstream. It's easy to miss the road to the stream from Fish Hatchery Road. It's a sharp left, amost a U-turn, to a small road going downhill. Good luck.

fished the LL on tuesday. i have a post under stream reports

john

Ahoy wulff man,

Nice new avatar...are you trying to tell us something?

Wulff...wondering about that avatar myself. You snowbirding or just wistful thinking?
Coughlin

A little of both, actually. I'm wistful thinking about some snowbirding I did a few years ago. Just trying to think warm! That's my fishing partner in the boat, not me, during a break while bonefishing in Belize.

Thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to fishing this stream. One last question, is the heritage section the best part of the creek? I looked and it is a class A stretch of the stream. I was just wondering if this is the most popular stretch to fish. Thanks again!

Troy

I guess you could say the heritage section is the best section for you to try this time of year. And it's definitely the most popular. It's a no wading area, from just downstream of the flyshop, at a walking bridge, upstream to the hatchery. Downstream of the bridge is also C&R, but you can wade there, although it usually isn't necessary. Check out the stream conditions section of the web site link I gave you earlier, it's up to date and gives some fly suggestions. Hope it's not too cold for you and the fishing on Friday.

My streak ended in January because I didn't get out before going away for 3 weeks, when I came back it was February. Anyway, to answer your question it fishes great during the winter, get there early and fish the C & R section then go up above the bridge and fish up there. There are some BWO's that hatch during the winter, as well as a mega hatch of Little Black Stones that hatches now. But if nothing is coming up go deep and slow. Check the water temperature, if it is below 40 degrees fish extra slow and don't even worry about hatches, unless you see consitent rises.

Back