Little Lehigh Tricos vs paraleptophlebias

L

lestrout

Anyone have insight on why paraleptophlebia spinner falls during Trico time don't induce the trouts to eat them? The two common paras up on the Beaverkill in May are great for catching up there.

Maybe there aren't the bugs as before? I generally don't prefer AM fishing so I only have periods when I hit the tricos heavily. About 20 years ago I was a Lehigh Valley trico junkie and then stopped until 2 years ago when I fish with friends at the Little Lehigh.

Some changes between the two periods. 20 years ago there were size 14/16 rusty spinners on the water from a night spinner fall before the trico fall that drew a few fish up before the main event. Didn't know what they were. Now I do not see them and all the surface action is for the trico spinners (and maybe a few terrestrials). Fortunately they hit sunk spinners for a few hours after the surface action dies down. Never saw Little Lehigh fish avoid any mayfly on the menu. Also, before did most of my trico fishing in open water below the Heritage Stretch since the Heritage stretch was too crowded. Now my spots downstream have silted in and I hit the Heritage Stretch.

About 20 years ago trico fishing started changing from the pressure IMHO. Used to fish the Bushkill in Easton a lot and would crush fish in my favorite pools for the whole spinner fall. Then starting about 20 years ago one fish caught would put the whole pool down. Started seeing days on the Saucon where the fish didn't rise when the trico spinners were on the water and had to go to sunk spinners. During this period I started avoiding the special regs areas to find less pressured fish.

Anyone have insight on why paraleptophlebia spinner falls during Trico time don't induce the trouts to eat them? The two common paras up on the Beaverkill in May are great for catching up there.
Maybe they don't taste as good.

Back