Little Lehigh 7-5-22 Little Surface Action Yet

J

JeffK

Fished the Little Lehigh this morning from 7 am to 11 am. Tricos in the air and some on water, but general consensus was that the fish weren't coming up. One person found a pod rising and caught a couple, but most observations are that they aren't taking off the surface yet.

Light crowd - easy to find spots to fish. The weekend crowd is gone.

Fish were feeding near bottom and midges were working, but dry fly action was tough. Tan caddis around and a dandy fish took a caddis dry for one fisherman.

BTW, saw 9 mergansers, 2 great blue herons and an eagle. Fish seemed feeding mostly in broken water around rocks oddly enough.

Thse eagles have been around for a few yrs on the Ltl Lehigh and Jordan. This late winter and spring, however, the two adults and the one immature bird from at least a year ago were regularly crossing over our property and heading from the Lehigh to the Jordan and, I assume, the Ltl Lehigh. Now, however, this year’s young should be out of the nest, assuming they survived, and theoretically more immatures than adults should be in the area for the rest of the summer. Additionally, common mergansers successfully produced a number of young on the lower Jordan this year. I assume the same may be true for the Ltl Lehigh as this normally timid species has adapted quite well to the urban and suburban park activity. So have the eagles.

The Tricos just started really. May take a little while for the hatch/feeding to get in full swing. Little Lehigh has been disappointing me over the past few summers. Trico fishing for wild browns used to be awesome there, but I have not seen that lately. I am hoping this summer will be a bounce back year, but not confident. If you only fish the FFO section for stockies, then you can get a few fish on Tricos in there, but elsewhere it is down.

Back