Little Juniata River Summer Fishing Advice?

K

kissell59

Has anyone had decent luck during the warmer months of the summer at the Little Juniata River? I've read that this river stays at a decent temperature at least in the mornings also on TCOs stream report page it states low 60s, just wondering how accurate that report is because I've never personally fished this river. Just looking for any tips if this is fishable during this time of year, looking to potentially start at the mid-state trail and work my way up to or around spruce creek then walk back if the conditions are ok. Thanks!

@jifigz is a regular there and knows a lot about it. That's not my turf. I would avoid the TCO temp reports as they have been inaccurate as of late. I think they actually take temps in Celsius.

I am not a regular on the Little J and only fish it about once a year in the spring. Many, many people who live much farther away fish the Little J much more often than I do. It is only about 45 minutes to an hour from me but I don't make it there often.

Some parts of the Little J I am sure hold temp well, some probably do not. I am not the man to answer that question. As in the area of all our good central PA waters, the Little J does have some substantial springs that enter along its length, however.

I fish the Little J pretty regularly. We have been having warm temps here for the last few weeks and warming up the water. But we have been getting some much-needed rain to keep the flow up decently. Personally, I do not fish it in the summer months. I like to give those trout a break, will start fishing the J in the fall. If I were to fish it be there at first light to 11:00am or fish in the evening. Also use your thermometer. Go chase some smallmouths instead there more challenging at this time of the year.

I fish the Little J pretty regularly. We have been having warm temps here for the last few weeks and warming up the water. But we have been getting some much-needed rain to keep the flow up decently. Personally, I do not fish it in the summer months. I like to give those trout a break, will start fishing the J in the fall. If I were to fish it be there at first light to 11:00am or fish in the evening. Also use your thermometer. Go chase some smallmouths instead there more challenging at this time of the year.
Yeah, the plan was to fish first thing in the morning if possible. Thanks for the information though!

TCO reports are all but worthless, IMO. Which section of the Little J did you plan to fish?

TCO reports are all but worthless, IMO. Which section of the Little J did you plan to fish?
Ok, glad I asked. I was going to start at the mid-state trail above Barree and fish up towards spruce creek just based off some information I've got from some YouTube videos and articles.

I may just look for another stream to hit if the temps aren't what I thought they would be. I've had decent luck with brook trout on some mountain streams here in Cambria County following these last couple rains we've had earlier this month.

Fish below the big limestone springs, start at first light and bring your thermometer.

the temps on the J peak around 4-6PM, depending on the conditions - the solar-collecting rocks keep warming the water. I mention this because fishing in the evenings should be a hour after the sun no longer hits the water. The lower river (Baree) is not the coolest part of the river. The coolest part is between babe/shoenenberger road to Spruce creek. Never fish in the summer at or above Birmingham. There are "pockets" of cool water upstream but unless you know them, they are hard to find.
Do not trust TCOs reports on the J.
All that said, like wetfly I don't fish the J in the summer unless its a cool wet summer

Appreciate all the shared information. Thank you!

Back