Little J

1manwolfpack

I was planning on taking my first trip to the Little J tomorrow. The river forcast is predicting a foot and a half rise (to 4.5feet) after the rain coming tonight. How will the waiding be? What will this do to the hatches? Any tips for a first timer? Thanks in advance!

Keep and eye on the gauge it's best for wading when the flow is below 450 cfs. It's hard enough to wade under ideal conditions. I wouldn't go after a storm but I don't have a lot of experience up there.

Given all of the rain that went through here this afternoon - and headed over to little j - I think that river level forecast is likely right on. And would make the river very tough to fish
You could check it again in morning before leaving. But I would have a plan B if I were you.

I think the Little J will be high and off color tomorrow.

But small forested freestone streams will probably fish well tomorrow afternoon.

1manwolfpack wrote:
The river forcast is predicting a foot and a half rise (to 4.5feet) after the rain coming tonight.

4.5ft on the USGS gauge is far beyond safe wading flows.

blown out and with the cold front moving through forget about it. May be tomorrow. Better yet thursday before the next batch of rain comes through

Forget choco milk, the lil j is choco ice cream right now.

I am heading that way on Thursday. Hopefully, it rounds into shape over the next 48 hours. If not, at least there are other options in the vicinity.

Plan B ended up being having to work. Maybe tomorrow...

If you plan on taking off work to fish I would highly suggest holding off. While it may be "fishable" tomorrow .. emphasis on MAYBE, it will for sure still be muddy.

Forecast shows some rain thursday, it shouldnt hurt but it wont help either.

If your in the area and plan on just swinging by thats one thing, but if your planning a trip I really suggest holding off a few days, if you cant reschedule I would recomend going to spring creek.

Its at 1,000 as of right now. It will take longer than overnight to drop to a fishable level

river.jpg
[/url][/img]

What's the flow at in that pic? jc, wasn't sure if it's current or not.

Thanks to all for the advise. Whent to Spring instead, made out good on the streamer and sulphur hatch

Back