Little J

BREECHESANGLER

BREECHESANGLER

I have fished just about every stream in the state except the Little J and a few others. I have always wanted to go but never got around to it. I plan on trying it in late winter-spring. If anyone with better knowledge on the Little J could inform me about good areas, flies, when, what to expect. Any help is appreciated. Like I said, I have been to most of them in the state but never this one. Thanks, Breeches

Man, I wish I could say that I've fished almost every stream in the state! You must lots of free time

As for the little j - there really isn't a bad place to fish it anywhere IMO.
There is easy access where route 45 crosses it at the town of spruce creek. And also a nice little fly shop located there, that can fill you in on current fishing conditions.
If you're feeling a little more adventurous, go downstream about 4-5 miles to the next bridge crossing at the town of Baree. There is a nice pool right there. But if you continue over the bridge another 100 yards or so towards Greene Hill campground, and take the next left, the road will dead end at a nice parking area, And you can walk upstream for miles into the state forest land - also known as the gorge. And its a really beautiful area to fish.

As for hatches - my favorite time there is in april for the grannoms, and in may for the sulphers.

Good luck

In spring you better have a lot of grannom caddis patterns. I'd head to the town of Spruce Creek and start there at the fly shop, all good water in that area.

BREECHESANGLER wrote:
I have fished just about every stream in the state

If even 50% true, you should write books!

Don't want to put words in Breeches mouth, but maybe he meant to say just about every famous stream in Pa.................there are ALOT of streams in Pa...

You are right Biggie. I should have put that a little differently. No, I haven't fished every stream in PA, if I did then I would write a book. What I meant is that I have fished most of the well known streams in the state. Sorry, like I said I should have put it differently. Thanks for the info so far. I will probably make it in the spring. I try to fish the most well known streams in the state so I can just add them to my list.

you should get good info by asking on the forum of http://www.littlejuniata.org. The word spot burning isn't used there :)

The website has been rebuilt so the old posts are gone. If you become a life member the president will give you a 4 hour tour of the river and describe the hatches and best approaches.
The yearly banquet is coming up and this would be a good opportunity to meet and speak to "regulars" on the J

Back