Litte help please

smallie

smallie

I understand some , but is there a guide to which flies are used? I see the hatch charts, but like yesterday I was at the volant flyshop and asked Bob should I use drys he said nymphs. The hatch chart says bwo. Then when I look in my fly box....well its a little overwhelming. Then there is midges! Am I making it more than it is? Kinda feel lost

Hello,
I know Bob pretty well and he knows what he is doing. You really have to let the fish determine what flies to use. That's part of the process of fly fishing, trying to figure out what the fish are eating, and how fussy they are. Newly stocked fish are a little less particular about what they eat, and as a result, easier to catch. When fish get really fussy, there will be fish in different parts of the stream eating totally different bugs, or maybe a different stage in the hatching process of the same bug. I have been doing this for over 30 years and it still can be overwhelming at times, that's part of the fun. Spend a little money in Bob's shop and listen to what he has to say, he can help you catch more fish.

smallie wrote:
Am I making it more than it is? Kinda feel lost

You are, and you don't have to. Relax, you'll get to that point where you'll seek out complexities because you'll want to know more, but you don't have to.

Dry flies are easiest, its yea big and that shade? Find something thats close as you can, and fish the crap out of it. Eventually you'll learn it was a BWO, and then you'll learn again it was an emerging dun, and then you'll be able to cover that with 2983028 different patterns with subtle differences in design of the wing. Or, you'll just fish the crap out of that yea-big-that-shade fly.

"But, they're taking nymphs!" Fair enough, fish a hare's ear or a pheasant tail. It'll do wonders for you. "What size?" Meh. Who cares, they're fish, they eat food. Its food, right, they eat it. "But, I want to maximize my chances!" Oh, well, I guess that's pretty reasonable. See that thing in the air, go ahead, try and pick a HE that'll be about the same size. (brushes hands clean) "No way, dude, I want more." Fair enough. Carry the basics, apply them when it just seems Right, and when you're done you can consult your copy of the Meck Pocket Guide to PA Hatches when you get home so you'll know what sort of things to expect when you see a yeah-big-that-shade fly go by your head.

There is an advantage to adding more and more as you go along, as long as you keep your head above the figurative water while you do it. Knowing you can expect BWOs, and what a BWO is, and what the nymph looks like (and even how it acts) can be extra helpful because you know a wee little PT or HE in a sort of olive-y shade can be a better match that one that's full on brown. It helps to know this, but its not essential, because fish will respond to things they think is food.

Will they become selective and turn their noses up at that which they find different? Sure, lots of people say so, and I won't aruge because I don't know any different. However, unless you want to get mired in minutae, you can choose to add to your repository of knowledge each time you go out, rather than jump into the deep end.

Shameless self promotion by way of additional reading.

vanorvis wrote:
Hello,
I know Bob pretty well and he knows what he is doing. You really have to let the fish determine what flies to use. That's part of the process of fly fishing, trying to figure out what the fish are eating, and how fussy they are. Newly stocked fish are a little less particular about what they eat, and as a result, easier to catch. When fish get really fussy, there will be fish in different parts of the stream eating totally different bugs, or maybe a different stage in the hatching process of the same bug. I have been doing this for over 30 years and it still can be overwhelming at times, that's part of the fun. Spend a little money in Bob's shop and listen to what he has to say, he can help you catch more fish.
Over the past few days I bought waders,boots, and a simms waist pack. When I got home I found 3 fly boxs in the pack. 1 orvis 6 panel and two c&f designs. Needless to say Bob and I became friends wen I walked back in with them. Bob is good people!

Over the past few days I bought waders,boots, and a simms waist pack. When I got home I found 3 fly boxs in the pack. 1 orvis 6 panel and two c&f designs. Needless to say Bob and I became friends wen I walked back in with them. Bob is good people!

Yea he is a good guy, I try and give him a hard time about something every time I see him.
You didn't happen to be at our TU banquet last Saturday night. He helps us out a lot.

You didn't happen to be at our TU banquet last Saturday night. He helps us out a lot.[/quote] No, but where are the meetings, I just joined tu not long ago.

]Shameless self promotion by way of additional reading[/url].[/quote] Thanks, that little bit of read has given me a better understanding of whats what.

smallie wrote:
Thanks, that little bit of read has given me a better understanding of whats what.

Its a start to understanding it, and a good way to not get lost with your first few steps.

If you think of it as a building block, every time you go out you'll end up armed with a bit more information for the next time. In time, you'll know what parts of a hatch chart you have to pay attention to, and when its important to add specific patterns from generic stuff.

Knowing what the insect species is was a huge step forward, but understanding that it didn't matter to general success was more important.

With the latter accomplished, the former is easier to wrap your head around.

Hey smallie... try coming to our "mini-JAM" on April 9th at the Neshannock. We're putting on an instructional day to teach new guys like you the ropes. There's a thread in the general forum on it. It will DEF get you on the right path to just starting out.

If you can't make it that day, let me know and I'll meet you up there sometime and give you some tips and toss some line with you.

ryguyfi wrote:
Hey smallie... try coming to our "mini-JAM" on April 9th at the Neshannock. We're putting on an instructional day to teach new guys like you the ropes. There's a thread in the general forum on it. It will DEF get you on the right path to just starting out.

If you can't make it that day, let me know and I'll meet you up there sometime and give you some tips and toss some line with you.
Thanks ryguyfi, I will try and make it.

Back