Lines for Streamer Fishing

S

Skook

I could use some advice with regard to which type of dedicated line to use for fishing streamers. The line would be used on either a 6wt or 7wt rod, and the streamers probably would NOT be very large articulated patterns. I've read some articles online, but depending on the article, I'm still not sure which type of line is the best choice for most situations. I believe my options would include the following types of lines:

Floating
Floating with sinking Polyleaders attached or lead core built into the leader
Intermediate
Sink Tip
Full Sinking (various sink rates)
Double or Triple Density (some combination of intermediate and/or full sinking)

For a guy who wants to have just one dedicated line for throwing streamers, which would you choose and why? I mostly wade fish, but I wouldn't mind taking a float trip on the WB Del. someday soon.

Thanks.

For trout in moving water? Floater. Throw on a poly leader for deep water. In my experience, sometimes you still have to add weight with a poly to get down to the strike zone, which is annoying, but you're going to struggle to mend an intermediate or sinking line.

For stillwater, floater if fish are in shallow / you're fishing on top. Intermediate when fish are deep.

Dear Skook,

I think that for 99% of river and stream fishing a floating line will serve you well. I have many sinking lines but for me they are for lake work where I need to get 8' deep or more when I fish out of a float tube or boat. If I need to get 8' deep on a stream I break out the spinning or baitcasting rods. ;)

Cortland used to have braided sections of heavy lead core sinking line that attach via a loop connection to a regular floating fly line. I've used them with some success but found that weighted streamers and the addition of a split shot or two got me deep enough to get snagged on most rivers and streams.

Every connection you add between dis-similar lines adds a hinge. Your leader and fly are one place, your added sinking section is another place, and your main line is in a third place. It makes line handling and hook sets difficult at times.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Nice nickname BTW, especially if refers to Schuylkill County. I was born in Pottsville and spent my early years in Saint Clair a long time ago.

+1 for floating line. Unless you are fishing a blown out river that is really ripping, a full sink is unnecessary. Need to get deeper or deep quicker? You can manage that with a polyleader, heavier fly or a combo of the two.

Only fished a sinking line In the surf or from a float tube. Otherwise, never really fished anything but DT floating lines. Weight the fly. Add a lead head to the line between the line and leader. Either way, floating is fine
I'm a bugger addict. It's fine.

Looking for a floating streamer line for my 5wt rod. Any thoughts on either the Cortland 444 Big Shot line or the Cortland Streamer Floating line? Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

For trout in moving water? Floater. Throw on a poly leader for deep water. In my experience, sometimes you still have to add weight with a poly to get down to the strike zone, which is annoying, but you're going to struggle to mend an intermediate or sinking line.

For stillwater, floater if fish are in shallow / you're fishing on top. Intermediate when fish are deep.
This sums it up nicely.

Back