Line weight for unmarked antique HL Leonard rod

S

steve98

I have a 7' 6" HL Leonard unmarked Vintage Competition bamboo rod. As far as line weight is concerned. All other markings clear. What line weight to use and reel size? All input appreciated.

Steve 98

I have a 7' 6" HL Leonard unmarked Vintage Competition bamboo rod. As far as line weight is concerned. All other markings clear. What line weight to use and reel size? All input appreciated.

Steve 98
Dear Steve,

The reel size won't matter much until you dial in the proper line weight. If you have reels with 5 or 6wt lines I would suggest you try them first. If you and the rod agree on a line size, then you can shop for a reel. I have a Pflueger 1494 and a 5wt DT Cortland Sylk line on my South Bend 290 which is also a 7 1/f ft 2 piece bamboo rod.

You have a lot of options for bamboo reels from vintage to modern. ID the right line weight and go from there.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Best method: figure out the weight of the rod in oz, and figure out your line weight from there.

Best guess: 7.5’ sounds like a 5 wt DT (try the Wulff bamboo line) to me but sometimes the rod needs to tell you what line weight it feels best at. I’d order the 4 and 6 for good measure from a place with a good return policy and let the cane do the talking.

For a reel, something like a Hardy lightweight LRH should fit the bill. Maybe a Perfect 3 1/8” if you’re feeling spendy.

Try cross posting to the classic fly rod forum, they’re the real cane nerds over there.

Steve 98

I've read this a few times and I assume what you are saying is the rod IS a Leonard and is marked "Vintage Competition" OR it is a vintage rod marked "Competition" but no suggested line weight is written on the blank...

...is that correct??

If so, I own more than a few H.L. Leonard rods but the name "Vintage Competition" or "Competition" is not one I am familiar with (Tournament, yes).

That being said a 7'6" Leonard would be a Model 39 or 49. Are those numbers anywhere on the rod blank?

For example if the rod is marked 49-6, or 39-5 that means it is a more contemporary Model 49 for a 6wt line or a 39 for a 5wt line. IF it is a Tournament, (not a "Competition") it could be 6wt.

As a far as a reel, it all depends on what type of balance you like with a rod & reel.

I prefer a reel with the correct capacity and enough weight to give me a static balance point as close to the winding check as possible. To achieve that on 5 or 6wt bamboo rods at 7'6"or 8'0" I use reels with a stated weight around 6.2 - 6.5 oz which is heavier than either a Hardy LRH or 3-1/8" Perfect.

You don't have to use something that heavy, but fishing bamboo all day with a reel that is too light means the rod will be tip heavy which can be tiring to the forearm. If you care about balance, what your options are for a heavier weight reel depends on the capacity you need and your budget.

As far as fly lines lines go, don't overthink things because it is a bamboo rod. Before I switched to real sink fly lines "for the heck of it" reasons, I've never used nor felt the need to use anything on any of my bamboo rods but regular TRUE TO WEIGHT double taper or weight forward lines like a SciAngler Mastery, a 406 or a Cortland Peach 444.

Good luck!!

Back