Line Identifacation

S

steve98

Just got my hands on Vintage South Bend bamboo fly rod.
Line recommendation calls for E or HDH.
What is E or HDH?

TY
Steve98

What is E or HDH?

TY
Steve98
I forget where I got this. Had it saved in my bamboo rod folder along w/ hardy codes etc.

IMG 6280

So looking at that it's a 5/6wt?

Be aware that the conversion isn't exact. HDH referred to the thickness of the line, not the weight. (That worked fine when all lines were made out of silk.)

You may have to experiment to see which is better. Most of my rods marked HDH (but not all) work well with a five 5 DT.

And it varies with the individual rod. I have two seemingly identical South Bend 290's marked HDH. One is better with a five weight, the other won't cast a five at all.

I was hoping to get away with a 5 WT-F DT L or even WF
What is the opinion?

If you already have the line, try it out, it might work.

This rods action is like a wet noodle at the tip!
I want to use it for small Native Brook trout streams in NC PA.
I want to be as light and delicate as this rod can be.

TY
Steve98

This rods action is like a wet noodle at the tip!
I want to use it for small Native Brook trout streams in NC PA.
I want to be as light and delicate as this rod can be.

TY
Steve98
Well I'll be honest here, I understand what you are saying but consider this.

Light lines IMO are the opposite of what you want on a brook trout stream.

My favorite rods for brook trout are short fiberglass 4/5wts, that are overlined to a 6. You wont be casting as far so the 6 will make it cast easier, it will allow you to punch line between bushes or branches if needed. It will roll cast easier. Etc etc.

The line weight doesn't control the delicacy of landing as much as you think . That is more your casting stroke. A slow line speed will slap the water less than a fast. The diameters and weight of the line between a 5 and a 6 won't matter much in that regard.

Considering your description of the rod action, it's probably a slow action rod. To which a higher end grain weight line for it will slow it down even more, making your casting stroke slower and your line speed less, thus mitigating line slap.

The industry has fooled us into thinking you need light line rods for small streams.

So if it takes a 6 don't be disappointed. Give it a try, you might find you like it better for this application.

What weight lines do you own? Try them casting out on the lawn and see which ones you prefer.

Different people will prefer different line weights with a particular rod.

My guess is that 5 wt. will be the one that most people would prefer.

The old timers probably used the equivalent of a 6 wt on it, but old timers often preferred slower actions to keep their 3 wet flies rig from getting snarled up, and to keep their worms from flying off when casting.

Even try a 4 wt line. You won't know until you try.

Would this happen to be the South Bend 290 2-piece 7'-6" rod? If so, I've tried all kinds of lines on that rod. I use Cortland 444 Classic (Peach) in 6DT on mine, and it likes that.

TY all
Replies greatly appreciated and informative!

Steve98

If it ends up being a 6wt but you want it to be a 5wt, buy a 5wt Rio Grand... ;)

Just wondering, what length is the rod and do know the model?

All of the rods I use on small streams are shorter (from 5"0" to 7'0"). If I am fishing a rod longer than 7'0" I am fishing what I consider a medium sized stream. That being said, with the exception of four rods in the short rod quiver that happen to be 4wts, all the rest are 3wts and fiberglass and very light because they are shorter.

Because they are shorter & lighter to achieve the static balance I prefer with the reels I prefer, I need a smaller reel. A smaller reel holds a full length DT 3wt line with no problem. A heavier line requires a bigger reel or needs to be cut in half.

That being said I have NEVER felt the need for a heaver line in any tight quartered place I fish. If there is a rhododendron tunnel or some other obstruction, I just shorten and modify the arc of my casting stroke which tightens the size of my loop and I pop my cast in to the opening... I should mention that NONE of my rods are fast so high line speed ISN'T what is closing up my loop.

Excluding the bamboo rods, I only use Sci Angler Mastery DT lines. The Mastery DT has a very short front taper. If you fish a short front taper line AND a short leader on a moderate action rod you will have more of the line belly out past the tip top with less overall line/leader length so short casts are a breeze. For that reason I never felt a need to over-line even when making 10 foot casts.

Try the same short cast with a fast rod or a long front taper line and a long leader and you WILL feel underlined.

Good luck dialing in the South Bend and have fun fishing!!!

Last edited:
What is E or HDH?

TY
Steve98
Dear Steve,

I'm by no means an expert on bamboo rods but I do own several South Bend Bamboo rods. I have a SB290 2 piece 7 1/2-foot rod, a South Bend 359 8 1/2-foot rod, and a SB 346 9-foot rod.

All of them work perfectly fine for me using a Cortland 444 Classic peach colored line in DT5 or WF6, or a Cortland Sylk line in the same line weights.

Please keep in mind that the guide sizes on older rods were generally smaller than they are on modern rods. Today's modern fly lines are thicker and do not shoot well on those old agate and snake guides. The only exception I've found in the Cabela's Prestige fly line. It's $ 39.00 in a WF5 and it works like a dream on my old bamboos.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back