Line Help/Questions

jifigz

jifigz

I purchased my first fly outfit in December 2013 and replaced the line that came on the outfit with some Rio Mainstream almost immediately. I was just cleaning my line and noticed that the casing at the thicker part of the line where the welded loop begins has broken. Through this break in the outer green layer of the line I can see the inner core that looks like dacron or fly backing or whatever. Should I cut the welded loop off and tie a loop in the end of the line or replace the line? I guess I could also fish it as is but the line would act and bend a little differently at the break.

I'm leaning towards just replacing the line and trying out another line product for comparison. Thanks for suggestions.

cut back 2", then tie a nail knot with 15 lb. mono to the end then seal with goop to protect from getting water in the core.

I've had nothing but problems with my RIO Gold line. It's a shame because I like the softer feel of their line. Mine developed a bunch of cracks and started to sink within a few months. Also the loop cracked like yours. I've sent it back and the replacement did the same thing in two months. I clean my line and keep it in the house.
I've started using Orvis and Scientific Angler line and have had no problems.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
I've had nothing but problems with my RIO Gold line. It's a shame because I like the softer feel of their line. Mine developed a bunch of cracks and started to sink within a few months. Also the loop cracked like yours. I've sent it back and the replacement did the same thing in two months. I clean my line and keep it in the house.
I've started using Orvis and Scientific Angler line and have had no problems.

That is very interesting. You would figure that a company like Rio and with a price tag that high end lines bring with them that this wouldn't be an issue. I cut off the end of my mainstream line and tied a perfection loop in it and sealed the open area with Amazing Goop, but I also just tacked on some SA Air Cel line with an Amazon order I had to place. I figure, what the hell the line costs like $15 dollars, if I hate it I'm not out so much, and if I like it it is a major win...even if it fails in a few months, no big deal. It may be my second big win with cheap line. I really like some cheap Cortland Fairplay line I bought at Wal-Mart for $15 for my 8-weight bass rod. The stuff is amazing for the price.

Thank you for swaying me from Rio Gold because I was going to give it a shot, and I still may someday, but it won't be before I give some SA, Orvis, and/or Cortland lines a try.

Btw, that line can easily be repaired with a dab of zap a gap after cutting the loop off. Then slide a braided loop over the line and secure with 4 nail knots of flouro. Good as new .

What sandfly and krayfish said. I actually prefer a good nail knot on my dry fly lines bc I noticed better loops and energy transfer over the loop to loop which tends to hinge.

I recently bought a SA flyline with loops on both ends. I left the loop to the backing intact and cut the front loop off and replaced it with a nail knot. I tie my own leaders and I just don't like loops. IMO no matter how small the loop is it is still not as streamlined as a nail knot.

I definitely like the nail knot over the loop connection. The tip top guide is very small on some rods and when that loop gets inside the guide it can get hung up if the fish decides to take another run.

Back