LIL J FISH KILL

S

schrec

FYI FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T AWARE...
PER BILL ANDERSON OF LJRA:

DSC00858.jpg

All,
Bad news. We experienced a significant fish kill on the "j" today. There were hundreds of dead fish (see photos) in the shallows at the mouth of the Tyrone water treatment plant outflow. They ranged from 3" sun fish to 15" brown trout and even included one 3 or 4 pound Carp.
At this time the cause is unknown. WCO Craig Garman from the PFBC and Mike Donohoughe, District DEP, were present when I got there. Later we had Tim Nulton, TWTP Manager and the Borough Engineer as well. Tim and the Engineer took samples of fish and water for analysis.
The good news is that the kill seemed to be isolated to the immediate area in and around the outflow ditch from the treatment plant. I drove downstream stopping at each bridge looking for dead fish. I saw none below the Tyrone Milling location at Ironville. Several people observed that the "j" has a very strange murky green color, partly attributable to the sudden snow melt, but somehow different. We may be able to see better when the water clears tommorow. Hopefully we will not see more dead fish. Stay Tuned!

Bill

I hope it wasn't chlorine or something similar that will kill ALL living things over a fairly large area.

It's always something. :-x

Chlorine is deadly, I think that plant uses ultra violet treatment though?

There is a chance that this looks worse than it is. We all know that the fish will hold in the out flow due to the thermal differences. Hopefully they were all stacked up right at the point source, and what ever it was in the water that killed these fish quickly diluted out to non toxic levels. Hopefully it was something simple like a slug of water with low oxygen content.

Darn shame, that river just can't get a break, it's always something!

Just hope it's not as bad as it looks!

Update from another site:
While Bill Anderson (president of LJRA) is hopeful this is a localized event, other fishermen have reported seeing dead fish as far downstream as Birmingham and below. The LJRA will post updates on their site : www.littlejuniata.org

Back