lightweight wading boots - Orvis or Chota?

K

kbobb

Hi All,

looking for a lightweight pair of hiking-style wading boots. the Orvis ultralight and Chota hybrid 800 caught my eye. Wondering of any of you are using these and what is your experience / thoughts.?

thanks

Saw that you've had no responses to this in a week now.

No experience with the brands you're looking at.
But I did buy patagonia ultralight wading boots 3 years ago.
And have been quite happy with them.
Very lightweight and comfy. And have held up well so far

I just bought a new pair of wading boots. They are Korker Hatchbacks. I like the interchangable soles. I only ever go to the same place anymore and really don't need the studded felt soles, but I like having that option.

The place that I fish is difficult to wade. So much so that I think that I need and use two wading staffs and have a rod holder on my wading belt.

These boots listed at $240.00 but I got them on sale at $167.00, which is a pretty good deal. I am not worried about spreading "rock snot" anywhere. I never fish anywhere else but the same stream.

I have seen these Korkers on sale at other fly shops. That may be something of interest to you given the interchangable soles and wading options.

Canoetripper wrote:
I just bought a new pair of wading boots. They are Korker Hatchbacks. I like the interchangable soles. I only ever go to the same place anymore and really don't need the studded felt soles, but I like having that option.

The place that I fish is difficult to wade. So much so that I think that I need and use two wading staffs and have a rod holder on my wading belt.

These boots listed at $240.00 but I got them on sale at $167.00, which is a pretty good deal. I am not worried about spreading "rock snot" anywhere. I never fish anywhere else but the same stream.

I have seen these Korkers on sale at other fly shops. That may be something of interest to you given the interchangable soles and wading options.

I like my Korkers too...I have the discontinued Wraptrs but absolutely love them! If I need another pair of boots I'm probably going with the Terror Ridge. Korkers really stand behind their products. I've had much better experiences with Korkers than Simms.

My son and I have both had the Orvis ultra light boots for about 18 months now and they are great. Really comfortable and I don't think the ultra light factor gives them any less stability in the stream. And they seem very well made and are holding up great. Big thumbs up.

I second the vote for orvis. After years of using conventional, heavy boots, I opted for the orvis ultralights last year and am very happy. Like the reviewer above, I find them to be well-made, supportive, extremely comfortable and without the fatigue of heavy boots.

Canoetripper wrote:

If you're fishing something that slick you should buy the carbide spike sole, the grip is incredible. They are expensive but so worth it on the nastiest of rivers.

I love my Patagonia Ultralight boots. IMHO they are more comfortable and durable than the Orvis ultralights, which i have also owned. Bought myself a backup pair a couple months ago on STP for 80 bucks.

I did slip and fall twice this past fishing trip. On my way home I stopped at the Evening Hatch fly shop and bought the felted stud replaceable soles.

I was also pleased with my first experience with tippett rings.

I really liked how easy it was to get in and out of the Korker Hatchback boots and adjusting the fit.

Contradictory to what others have said, I don't think the Orvis Ultralights have very good ankle support. I wish I had gone with Korkers instead.

I bought a pair of the orvis ultra lights about 6 years ago and really liked them, better than the orvis pro guides I had. the sole fell off this past winter. I bought the encounters 2 months ago and really like them, better than the ultralights or the pros. I bought a pair of chotas 20+ years ago and I still use them as a backup, which I needed this winter. get what fits best.

The Chota STL's are a solid choice and a time proven design. If you want comfortable boots with felt soles and excellent stud retention, they are an excellent choice. I'm using a pair of Patagonia Foot Tractors right now, but if not for the excellent sale prices, I would have gone back to the Chota's after a couple pairs of Simms. I can't stress how much better the Chota's stud/sole attachment is compared to anything else I've worn.

The current Orvis selection seems nice, but I have no experience with them.

I'm with PennKev on the STLs. The other great thing about them is their stacked heel. Even other premium, expensive boots these days have one-piece soles, which have a smooth gradation under the heel. The stacked heel gives me more secure traction when I'm standing on the edge of rocks.

Back