Lightest 5 weight rod ya can think of

• Thread starter CoffeeB4youFIsh
  • Start date
CoffeeB4youFIsh

CoffeeB4youFIsh

I have a couple 6s and a couple 7s...I have a recon 5 (they're stiff though) and was thinking of getting a faster lighter one....anyone have ideas? I know Scotts...but was wondering if anyone had any others? or should I just get a 4.

My lightest 5 weight is a vintage Orvis Far & Fine
I know it’s not made anymore, but Orvis prolly has a newer model that’s similar

I've got a couple Douglas Sky-Gs - a 4 and a 6 - and both are really light. My 4wt is probably my favorite rod. And my 6wt Sky-G is lighter than my 5wt rods from other manufacturers.

I've got a couple Douglas Sky-Gs - a 4 and a 6 - and both are really light. My 4wt is probably my favorite rod. And my 6wt Sky-G is lighter than my 5wt rods from other manufacturers.
I was looking at the Sky-Gs...they throw line out well?

Good enough for me, it's on the medium fast side of things and I like the responsive tip. I've casted a friend's Sky (no G) 6wt and that thing is a rocket. If you wanna cast far that no doubt beats a -G, but for feel etc I think the -G wins. My 4wt is my default Penns Creek dry fly rod. It even does ok with some wind. YMMV of course.

*edited to include that I have the 9' 4wt

The lightest 5wt I can think of is the Stickman Ti5 at just under 2.5 oz. Guideline makes some light rods but I've never fished one. Also, I noticed hardy ultralite rods going on discount at alot of online retailers if you're looking for a deal.

I recently got a Ti4 from Stickman and it quickly became my favorite rod to fish. It's something special.

Taylor Fly Fishing and Douglas have very light static weight rods.
I really like Douglas and if you break any part of the rod, they send you a replacement piece in a couple of days. It's like $60 but comes quickly and no need to send your rod.

Superfine Glass 8' 3 piece, Line weight 5. Weighing 2 3/4 oz

My Taylor Dynamix 9' 5WT is 3.1 oz. My Greys GR80 9' 5WT is 2.9 oz. They're the two lights 5WTs in my quiver. I know there are other lighter rods out there at premium prices . . .

In-hand, I can't tell the difference between the two.

My Orvis H3D 9ft 5wt is pretty light. With its stiffer tip I reckon it to have a lighter swing weight than its F model counterpart. I haven't weighed any of my rods for overall weight but I'd say my H3D is lighter than my X and most definitely lighter than my SAGE Accel, a rod I'd part with if I wasn't trying to collect all of the SAGE rods from the Konnetic era (not just rods that featured that tech, but rods that were released during that time period). I'm missing the original SALT (have the HD version) and had four Approach models, the last of which being the smallest configuration available, a 3wt 7ft, that casted so terribly and weighed double the amount of Hardy I have in the same configuration. I don't feel the need to have an Approach in my quiver and have subsided my need for a short gray colored blank with the new Orvis Clearwater. I'm anxious to test it out but don't have high expectations. If anything it can go to the loaner pile stash.

I will be conducting some lawn casting sessions with my H3D 9ft 5wt, SAGE Method 4wt, and SAGE Bolt 4wt to see which of these lighter power rods I like best. If I recall I felt the H3D was a little better in the delicacy category, making it my choice for summer time pond blastin' when I transition from streamer fishing to tossing terrestrials. We shall see! The more I cast my rods, the more confused I get as to which ones I like.

Shorter rods with less ferules are typically lighter because of less material.
That's true.
However you will be hard pressed to find a lighter 8' 3pc 5wt, especially in glass.

The H3D 9ft 5wt comes in at a Measured Rod Weight: Approx 2.86 ounces

Making fishing rods thin-walled makes them lighter. But it also makes them more likely to break.

Twice I was fishing with guys who got hooked on a branch, and they jerked on it and snapped the rod tip.

A guy who guides in Alaska told me that the clients get into big fish there and so many rods are popping that it sounds like popcorn. (He might have been exaggerating a little.)

Some of the modern rods are very light, but also very fragile. It's not a good trade-off, IMHO.

Making fishing rods thin-walled makes them lighter. But it also makes them more likely to break.

Twice I was fishing with guys who got hooked on a branch, and they jerked on it and snapped the rod tip.

A guy who guides in Alaska told me that the clients get into big fish there and so many rods are popping that it sounds like popcorn. (He might have been exaggerating a little.)

Some of the modern rods are very light, but also very fragile. It's not a good trade-off, IMHO.
👏

For graphite IM6 is IMO by far better.
Lighter than old glass but not as brittle as new graphite.

I do like the new S2 glass though. Lighter and still very strong.

The Douglas Sky G is 2.7 Oz Total Weight

Last edited:
Lobbing a technical grenade: Why haven't we heard from the swing weight camp yet?

Truthfully a 2.7 oz vs 3.1 oz rod you may never feel in practice during a day of fishing but whip around a rod w a high swing weight and it will wear on you . . . That may be a more meaningfuletric to investigate.

Edit: I just read Ocelot's post . . .

Lobbing a technical grenade: Why haven't we heard from the swing weight camp yet?

Truthfully a 2.7 oz vs 3.1 oz rod you may never feel in practice during a day of fishing but whip around a rod w a high swing weight and it will wear on you . . . That may be a more meaningfuletric to investigate.
This is a good point.

Homer: Why do you need new bands? Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact.

It's similar with fly rods, except that the year is a little later. Early 1990s maybe?

Back