Lightening Strike Hooks

Sockman

Sockman

I have used mostly Mustad hooks since I started tying. Recently I saw an ad for Lightening Strike Hooks stating they were a good hook for the money. Anybody ever use them? Any pros or cons?

Why not support forum sponsor Allen Flyfishing Products ?
Or Big Meadows Fly Shop ?

Good thought. I will check them out. Thanks.

Lightening Strike hooks are just as good/bad as the major guys out there. They are Wapsi product if that makes you feel more comfortable using them. They come with a few of the Cabelas intro to fly tying kits. They don't have a huge selection but they cover the major styles. Just don't look for a 2x gap, 1x fine, barbless, black hook from them.

In the sizes/styles Wapsi sells, I would go to Allen for those common hooks. A lot of shops/internet retailers are selling these TMC/Tiemco hooks in bulk. I assume they are all coming off the same line in China, so purchase based on price. Allen frequently has some pretty spectacular sells on these hooks.

I was labouring under the suspicion Cabela's hooks were TMC, actually.

Yes, their store brand, just like Allen, TCO, etc, etc. But they actually put packages of Lightning Strike hooks in the Cabelas beginners tying kits.

jdaddy wrote:

Yes, their store brand, just like Allen, TCO, etc, etc. But they actually put packages of Lightning Strike hooks in the Cabelas beginners tying kits.

Same thing as the Bass Pro kits. They're alright hooks. Not going to find anything fancy, but they catch fish.

jdaddy wrote:

Not mine. My Cabeler's kit had no name hooks in there, is all.

But this was a couple years back. I've progressed!

Back