Life vests and life preservers

L

lestrout

Is there a difference? My experience wirh either (or both) was decades ago, when I was learning to canoe. Back then, kapok was old tech and foam (yes, made out of some plastic, but then plastics were modern and wonderful) was the exciting new tech. The CO2 inflatables weren't invented yet. Thinking of the next float trip, I was wondering if members have any insight on what's hot these days and what's not. The main thing I remember about the old keyhole style life vest/preserver is their bulk, not very conducive to comfortable wearing of ffishing gear over them.

NRS Chinookn is very popular. Stohlquist makes several nice ones as well. I have one of each. They are designed for kayak use but are compact and very comfortable. I also have an inflatable one but in all honesty its not all that comfortable and I perfer the NRS and the Stohlquist over it. Just look at some of the PFDs designed for kayak fishing.

Is there a difference? My experience wirh either (or both) was decades ago, when I was learning to canoe. Back then, kapok was old tech and foam (yes, made out of some plastic, but then plastics were modern and wonderful) was the exciting new tech. The CO2 inflatables weren't invented yet. Thinking of the next float trip, I was wondering if members have any insight on what's hot these days and what's not. The main thing I remember about the old keyhole style life vest/preserver is their bulk, not very conducive to comfortable wearing of ffishing gear over them.
I kayak and purchased a PFD / fishing vest model. The one I wear all the time for both kayak fishing and wading (I often beach my kayak and wade fish an area) is a Kokatat Leviathan PFD. > https://www.rei.com/product/131501/kokatat-leviathan-pfd?CAWELAID=120217890011906324&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=113169118058&CATCI=pla-298120839977&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_1315010007|92700058329217602|BA|71700000074512915&gclid=CjwKCAiA4KaRBhBdEiwAZi1zzmM377gbbxhXRSk19aTGYovqPdxOFPpDbADpyzNJ5hWzifKV8nDUgRoCQUIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's very comfortable to wear and has plenty of pockets to utilize as a fishing vest. I wear it all the time and forget it's a PFD and not just a fishing vest. HTH.

Last edited:
I kayak and purchased a PFD / fishing vest model. The one I wear all the time for both kayak fishing and wading (I often beach my kayak and wade fish an area) is a Kokatat Leviathan PFD. > https://www.rei.com/product/131501/kokatat-leviathan-pfd?CAWELAID=120217890011906324&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=113169118058&CATCI=pla-298120839977&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_1315010007|92700058329217602|BA|71700000074512915&gclid=CjwKCAiA4KaRBhBdEiwAZi1zzmM377gbbxhXRSk19aTGYovqPdxOFPpDbADpyzNJ5hWzifKV8nDUgRoCQUIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's very comfortable to wear and has plenty of pockets to utilize as a fishing vest. I wear it all the time and forget it's a PFD and not a fishing vest. HTH.

That's a nice vest, and I happen to be in need of a replacement for my old Coleman :) .
Thanks for passing this along.

It's very comfortable to wear and has plenty of pockets to utilize as a fishing vest. I wear it all the time and forget it's a PFD and not just a fishing vest. HTH.

I like the looks of that PFD as well. I'll have to look and see if my NRS has an attachment for a net on the back. I bet it doesn't.

Have you, or has anyone, used the Leviathan PFD for rowing? My current vest is OK for canoe and kayak paddling, but it sticks out too far just below my sternum for rowing.

Please reply with any other similar vests that allow good range of motion while rowing.

Have you, or has anyone, used the Leviathan PFD for rowing? My current vest is OK for canoe and kayak paddling, but it sticks out too far just below my sternum for rowing.

Please reply with any other similar vests that allow good range of motion while rowing.
It has a high back for more comfort when sitting. Its meant for paddling a kayak so I don't see why rowing would be any different.

I don't kayak but fish from a float tube and a boat and many years ago I sprung for a Mustang HIT Inflatable PFD. It's the same PFD used by many fish & game wardens and LEO's across the country.

Stuff around the back of my neck always drives me nuts, but this is the absolutely the most comfortable PFD I have ever worn. I've worn it all day, in any amount of heat & humidity and I don't even realize I have it on which means I HAVE IT ON!!

If you are nervous about the "automatic" feature, Mustang offers manual versions but mine has NEVER misfired in all the years I've had it.

It doesn't have any pockets, clips or hooks to hang stuff from, but I don't need or want that anyway. It is one of the best investments I made.

Now...this may sound a little on the "ecentric" (aka nutz) side, but I'm a disabled fisherguy who has difficulty walking. As such I must stay close to an easy access part of the stream. But hey...I'm out there!!

I usually fall into the water at least once during an "outing"....but that's just part of "I'm not gonna let this stop me" kind of thing.

I designed (and I use that word loosely) what I call my "fishing device" which allows me to adjust it to the slope, and let's me sit about "bar stool" height so I can fly fish. Believe me, it's difficult to try and cast in a "sitting" position.

So, thanks for posting about these Kokatat vest. I'm looking into that type of vest. The inflatable PDF's I a bit wary of. They appear to be less intrusive, but they say they inflate in 4" of water. Well....they would likely inflate on every outing I go on. But the PDF fishing vest look like something that would work well for me.

BTW....here's my cane\walker\stool device. All thread, repurposed crutches, and locktite sort of sums it up.

TqAm6g7l.jpg

I don't kayak but fish from a float tube and a boat and many years ago I sprung for a Mustang HIT Inflatable PFD. It's the same PFD used by many fish & game wardens and LEO's across the country.

Stuff around the back of my neck always drives me nuts, but this is the absolutely the most comfortable PFD I have ever worn. I've worn it all day, in any amount of heat & humidity and I don't even realize I have it on which means I HAVE IT ON!!

If you are nervous about the "automatic" feature, Mustang offers manual versions but mine has NEVER misfired in all the years I've had it.

It doesn't have any pockets, clips or hooks to hang stuff from, but I don't need or want that anyway. It is one of the best investments I made.
The inflatable vests (I call them "horse collar") come in three versions: 1. HIT - pressure change sensitive trigger -- inflates automatically when ambient pressure increases suddenly (usually 6" submersion); 2. Best described as "soap tablet" trigger - automatic inflation when water or moisture causes "soap tablet" to disintegrate; 3. manual trigger.

The first (HIT) is absolutely the best but the re-arm costs are high. I believe a re-arm kit for a HIT trigger costs upwards of $50-60. If your application is one in which you might frequently end up in the water but not need the vest to trigger this isn't for you.

The "soap" tablet versions have a re-arm cost around $35. Their biggest drawback is that the "soap tablet" will absorb moisture and humidity and eventually trigger inappropriately. Think in the back of the vehicle at 65 mph going down a freeway after you spent the day fishing in a fine mist.

The manual triggers are inexpensive to re-arm, do not false trigger, but require you to pull the yellow tab to inflate. These are not good if you might end up in the water in a violent manner (think high speed boat accident).

I wear a NRS inflatable if you don't plan to go whitewater rafting with it in on, its your best and most comfortable option.

I just received my Kokatat Liviathon vest. It appears to have all the "necessary" pockets that I need and the hand warmer pockets are a nice feature. I've just tried it on over a sweatshirt and it appears that I have decent range of motion.

But today.....when it warms up a bit....I plan on going to the back yard and do some casting with it on to see how comfortable it is.

I just received my Kokatat Liviathon vest. It appears to have all the "necessary" pockets that I need and the hand warmer pockets are a nice feature. I've just tried it on over a sweatshirt and it appears that I have decent range of motion.

But today.....when it warms up a bit....I plan on going to the back yard and do some casting with it on to see how comfortable it is.
Check on the size you ordered. The straps make it adjustable for making it smaller but be sure it is large enough to fit over the heaviest clothes you plan to wear when fishing.

Good luck with your new vest/PFD.

Check on the size you ordered. The straps make it adjustable for making it smaller but be sure it is large enough to fit over the heaviest clothes you plan to wear when fishing.

Good luck with your new vest/PFD.
I ordered the XL\XXL size. I do notice the vest sits "high" on my chest with very little vertical adjustment. That makes sense as it is a life jacket and not just a fly fishing vest. It fits well. The front zipper is really a heavy duty one, and again, for a life vest that's what is required. The waist adjustments seem to be plenty enough for my 210-lb frame and adjustable enough to go from a T-shirt to a heavy jacket. But if a heavy jacket is required, I'm likely sitting by the fireplace and not cleaning ice off the tip of the rod.

Ok....so I went to my garage and swapped out my current chest pack to this new vest. I figured I'd just label the pockets and what fits into them....and then has the actual zipper close to keep stuff where it should be.

Two of the "empty" pockets are small and cannot hold the 4"x5"x.5" nymph boxes like the "next pocket up". The small pocket on the left I just put my stuff that's on retractable cords inside there. I've had the retractable gizmo's pop off and disappear in streams in the past, so I figured I had a pocket...it works.

The "open pockets" in the very front I'm unsure what I'll jam in there. Maybe my strike indicators.

And as I mentioned the vest has two hand warmer pockets.....I think a nice option.

tiDaaOil.jpg

I have an NRS and I like it, but the Kokatat with all of those pockets looks even better.

I lied....the two boxes sized 4"x7.25"x.6" do not fit all the way in so the zipper will close. However, the fly boxes are deep enough into the pocket that falling out would be difficult.

I'm sure you didn't lie, you were just mistaken, hahaha.

Now...this may sound a little on the "ecentric" (aka nutz) side, but I'm a disabled fisherguy who has difficulty walking. As such I must stay close to an easy access part of the stream. But hey...I'm out there!!

I usually fall into the water at least once during an "outing"....but that's just part of "I'm not gonna let this stop me" kind of thing.

I designed (and I use that word loosely) what I call my "fishing device" which allows me to adjust it to the slope, and let's me sit about "bar stool" height so I can fly fish. Believe me, it's difficult to try and cast in a "sitting" position.

So, thanks for posting about these Kokatat vest. I'm looking into that type of vest. The inflatable PDF's I a bit wary of. They appear to be less intrusive, but they say they inflate in 4" of water. Well....they would likely inflate on every outing I go on. But the PDF fishing vest look like something that would work well for me.

BTW....here's my cane\walker\stool device. All thread, repurposed crutches, and locktite sort of sums it up.

TqAm6g7l.jpg
That is very cool.

Back