Lick Run Trophy Trout Area

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

In mid-May I'd like to fish Lick Run that flows into Bald Eagle State Park Lake.

It's designiated Trophy Trout water. Is there good public access to the stream? Any recommendations for places to try?

How about trout, what species and average size?

I'm getting really excited about my upcoming time in PA.

It's getting to be sweatin' and wine drinkin' weather in TX...

I've never fished it and am not sure of its size or carrying capacity but Trophy Trout regs are designed to allow harvest on wild trout streams to remove the largest trout in the hopes that it will allow others to fill their shoes improving the size structure of the stream.

So "Trophy" trout size for that stream may be as small as 14" meaning most fish are in the 9-12" range.

There are nice fish in this stream. Used to fish it years ago. Just very hard to fish and in the areas with the most fish tend to live under the bank where you are walking.

UncleShorty,

This is a very small limestone stream that is rather brushy and hard to fish, even for those who specialize is such things.

The fish are wild browns and they come in all sizes but I think Maurice is overstating the typical size of fish in the stream. As in many wild trout streams there probably more 6-8" fish than 9-12" fish and even fewer larger fish.

If you targeted this stream because the label "Trophy Trout" sounds like a place to go to catch good numbers large fish, you may be disappointed.

shortrod2 wrote:
UncleShorty,

This is a very small limestone stream that is rather brushy and hard to fish, even for those who specialize is such things.

The fish are wild browns and they come in all sizes but I think Maurice is overstating the typical size of fish in the stream. As in many wild trout streams there probably more 6-8" fish than 9-12" fish and even fewer larger fish.

If you targeted this stream because the label "Trophy Trout" sounds like a place to go to catch good numbers large fish, you may be disappointed.

Shortrod...yeah that was the message I was trying to convey. Poorly I suppose.

bigjohn is correct though. That is exactly what I remember from when I surveyed it back in the late 1970's before it was trophy trout. Does not surprise me that they still occupy that habitat today.

Maurice wrote:

Shortrod...Poorly I suppose.

Not at all. I just thought he should hear it from someone who has fished the stream.

What the above people said. This is not a "destination" stream in my opinion. Very small, tough fishing for wild brown trout. Not very long as it is, lower end has a good chunk of posted water at least it did a few years ago. A good place to spend a few hours in-between other other streams in the area though, i just wouldn't rely upon it to be "the" stream for you for an extended period of time

and when i mean small, up by the gravel pit you can jump across it in alot of places with a running start. If you go tread lightly because those fish will feel every one of your steps as they are hiding in the undercuts. good luck.

Spiral wrote:

Not very long as it is, lower end has a good chunk of posted water at least it did a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure that is still posted.

A stretch in Howard is right in people's back yards. Then above that is the long posted stretch, up to the road bridge.

From the road bridge to headwaters is not posted (last time I checked.) Small stream with mostly small trout.

I think the base flow of the stream has decreased a lot, but I don't know what might have caused that. It just doesn't seem to have as much flow as in the past.

I have heard from some old timers the flows are alot less than what they used to be, too. With a gravel pit on the upper end and all the development that has occurred over the last 20-30 years in that area who knows what's causing it.

I caught a hellaciously large rainbow in there one year, just above the posted property. Apparently that private landowner stocks his section or at least used to.

Thanks for all the replies. I'd planned on going there 1st thing in the morning for a few hours. Then working my way east, stopping at good water late morning/afternoon and back to Black Moshannon DHALO for the evening drift. I've reserved a cabin for a couple nights @ BMSP.

I could drive up to Sinnemahoning or Kettle Creek, though it's an extra hour of driving. If those are similar in size & flow to Yellow Creek I should do OK.

A creek that's easier to fish would be better for me. I place myself somewhere toward the novice end of the beginner/intermediate fly casting curve.

Again, thanks to all.

I fished it once two years ago. Yeah, tough small stream fishing.

Didn't fish it long though. The reason wasn't because of tough or poor fishing, but having to avoid all of the spider webs spanning across the stream!! Maybe it was just the little section where I was at......but it was brutal from what I remember. Did hook a couple dinks though.

Fish Spring Creek.

Everybody else does.

Back