Lets talk fly lines

T

Troutmeister

What fly lines are you guys using that actually stay floating?

In the past couple years I've bought a half doz. lines ranging from an $11 ebay special to an $80 Rio and there doesn't seem to be much difference in their floatability. I've used Mucilin as a line floatant but it only lasts a short time.

Anyone have any line recommendations that actually stay floating, or even a line floatant that works?

I just put a SA mastery series line on mine that floated fantastically. But it's new.

I stay far away from line dressings. They work for a short time but then just collect dirt, which is why new lines float and old lines sink. The secret to keeping a line floating is to clean it! Soak it in the sink with dishsoap, Work it around in the soapy water. Rinse it. Rub it dry with a sloft cloth. Don't put anything on it pasty.

That said, I do that far less often than I should.

I have a rotation of sorts with floating fly lines:

New ones go on my good Trout reel setup, the one I fish dries at longer distances with. When they start to sink a little (after a year or two most times – I don’t fish that setup much), they get moved to my Brookie/small stream rigs. You’re usually fishing with such little line out that a little sinking doesn’t hurt much. Once they start to sink completely, move them to your Bass/WW setup…You now have a free sink tip.

Agree with all said above.

When new, my lines float well. I use Orvis/SA most, but I think any name-brand line will float well.

I clean my lines every so often, especially if I see them not floating well.

I agree with Pat above that line dressings or floatant on a line hinder floating in the long run. Just keep them clean.

I've found, much to my surprise, the textured lines I fish float well the longest without being cleaned.

Once you line starts to wear from use, it tends to show micro cracks in it and does not float as well as a new line.

Swattie's idea of switching an older line to a small stream outfit is a good one. Those lines tend to get abused more and get beat up in the trees :oops:

To what extent does a problem occur with your line that it makes you decide to change lines? I ask because my line is old and cracked in the tapered portion (1976 line) but when I clean it with Cortland fly line cleaner from the old days (paste product in a round tin), it floats well enough to not cause any sinking of the fly on streams the size of lower Kettle Ck. I have not tried it on a river, but when I do fish rivers I fish for SMB and use a bugger or streamer anyway.

Clearly, I have been oblivious to any marketing that companies may have done to try to get anglers to buy the latest and greatest. Additionally, if I did buy a new line (have considered it), based on what has been said already by others in this thread...that they sink in 2 yrs anyway..., what would be the advantage of buying an $80 line vs a $20-30 line?

Mike wrote:
To what extent does a problem occur with your line that it makes you decide to change lines?

If I can see cracks in the line or if I know that I've tramped on it one too many times with my studs, I'll change it out. Ideally that coincides with having an extra $80-100 spend on a decent line. I've tried some of the ebay specials and not been pleased.

it floats well enough to not cause any sinking of the fly on streams the size of lower Kettle Ck

Not sure I've ever had a line sink to the point where it sinks the fly!

Generally sits lower in the water or sinks a bit. Makes mending harder. Makes drag worse because the line catches more of the current.

what would be the advantage of buying an $80 line vs a $20-30 line?

After buying expensive and cheap lines, I've come to the conclusion that expensive ones are indeed better as a general rule of thumb. Typically they are slicker through the guides, and float a little higher, and stay that way longer. Tapers are situational so expense doesn't play into it.

That said. Are they $30 vs. $120 better? If on a budget, no. They are just a little better. Probably be considerably ahead by buying 4 $30 lines in the lifetime of that $120 line. That is, unless you are fishing truly big water where the line slickness is a huge advantage because you are shooting a lot of line for long distance casts.

I do miss double tapers. They are hard to find these days. They were like buying 2 lines in one. One side wears out, turn it around and use the other, which is still fresh! I think line manufacturers caught onto us and realized they'd sell twice as many lines if they do away with double tapers, lol.

I usually feel the cracks in the line before I see them. With that said, I will sometimes cut the line back a foot or so just to continue to use them.

I have actually had really good luck with a lot of the discounted lines that Angler's Pro Shop has listed on Ebay. For instance, I have bought the Sage Performance Taper II, SA Mastery, Airflo Platinum Chalkstream, and others. Like you, I have used a bunch with mixed results. The three I mentioned have been very good for me.

I don't really fish big water so not concerned with a line that shoots further. I just want the front 4 to 5 feet to float well so It's easier to mend and less disturbing to fish when I do mend.

I'll have to clean it in the sink real well like pcray mentioned and see if there's any improvement.

pcray1231 wrote:
I do miss double tapers. They are hard to find these days. They were like buying 2 lines in one. One side wears out, turn it around and use the other, which is still fresh! I think line manufacturers caught onto us and realized they'd sell twice as many lines if they do away with double tapers, lol.
I just bought some RIO Mainstream Trout DT3F for my 7' 3wt at Cabela's. It's still around. Middle of the road cost at $40, and I like the "2 lines in one" aspect. So does my wallet. :)

SciAngler Mastery DT is my go to these days for trout and Rio Smallmouth for Bass.

All of my plastic lines are cleaned frequently with NOTHING but plain Ivory soap & water on a sponge; NO detergent (strips additives and is rough on everything but ducks).

If the line has deeply embedded grime that effects floating, I'll clean with the SciAngler Cleaning Pad "rough side" or a Rio Wonder Cloth with plain soap & water.

LIGHT application of SciAngler Line Dressing or Agent X for the Rio lines when the line is dry. Excess treatment is wiped off later.

An important thing about grease or floatant of any type, it attracts & holds dirt.

Case-in-point: I also fish real silk fly lines and when I first started, I left too much floatant on the line. When I smartened up and learned to wipe off the excess and "polish" the line, I can get a full day of floating with greased silk.

Plastic is different. It floats because it has a lower specific gravity than water and it repels water. Keeping them clean and helping them to repel water is all you need to be concerned with.

I never bought into the "water wicking in cracks or the end of the fly line” thing because I have lines that are 10+ years old and cracked to $#!+ and they still float great.

Bottom line – buy a plastic line at any price, never clean it and just smear on grease, expect it to sink. If you expect a maintenance free, no maintenance line that always float great…

…you are dreaming. ;-)

Mike wrote:

I ask because my line is old and cracked in the tapered portion (1976 line) ....

You're really fishing a 40+ year old line? :-o

I’ve had great results with SA Mastery lines on closeout at the big box stores or Sierra.

I like DT lines. Not so much because I turn them around and reuse the other end, but because they mend easier at longer distances. I like sa mastery trout dt. I have a pretty good stockpile of 444sl dt lines too. If I dont use a DT line I prefer one with a long belly.

Good lines are worth spending $ on but you can usually find older good line on sale for 30 to 50 bucks. Any SA mastery is good line, Cortland 444 is good line. I dont really like Rio but I'm sure they have good lines. Airflo also has good lines. Its not hard to get a good line for less than 50 bucks. You probably won't get a good one for 10 bucks though.

Barrio fly lines from the UK have a good reputation and are reasonably priced, with free worldwide shipping. https://flylineshop.com/

I also like 406 lines. They are made by Scientific Anglers and are classic tapers for glass, cane, and older graphite. Free shipping. https://406flylines.com/

I've never used them, but Hook & Hackle's "classic" high floaters are made by Cortland and are often on sale. Hook & Hackle

Take the line and clean it with Ivory liquid soap in your kitchen sink using cool water. I use the Rio Wonder cloth and Ivory Soap to remove the junk. You won't believe how much dirt there is on a line even after fishing one time. Clean the line off good with cool water and then run it through a line dressing like Loon Line Speed and leave it sit for 24 hours. This conditions the line and adds a UV protector. Take and remove the line cleaner with a soft cloth as per the directions. My lines last a very long time and always float no matter what line I use. It's worth the time and effort to use this method for cleaning lines.

Ron

Most of the higher end lines I've used have disappointed me. Maybe I was expecting more out of them then what they were. Lately I've been going cheap and liking the results! My one rod even has $7 ebay line just for brookie streams and it is doing pleasantly well for me! Cortland 333+ was my favorite but getting hard to find. I've been using some of the Shadow brand of lines (I believe the company is here in PA). Its working well for me too. Its inexpensive and comes in nearly any color you want! My higher end lines I've been purchasing off of Sierra Trading or occasionally ebay at discount prices.

The Airflow Ridge lines have always performed well for me. And lasted quite long.

More recently, I bought an Orvis Hydros HD.
And after using it about a season and half now - I'm very impressed.
It casts and floats better than any other line I've used.
And I rarely find a reason to clean and treat it.
One minor negative - it makes a sawing noise as it flies through the guides.
But I've gotten used to it

UNLESS I GET A CLOSEOUT DEAL ON AN ORVIS LINE, I USUALLY JUST USE CORTLAND LINES. I HAD A 333 LINE LAST ME OVER A DECADE. FISHING 150 DAYS A YEAR FOR THE FIRST 3 OR 4 YEARS. I HAD ONE OF THOSE SNAKESKIN LINES. (WON IT IN A RAFFLE) SHOT LIKE CRAZY BUT OTHERS SAID IT WAS NOISY.

Back