Letort Wanderings, 9/14/2014

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

Wanderings on the Letort this morning. Awake at 6am so on the stream by 8. Bright sun and 60 degrees. Should have gone Saturday morning during the rain.

I did not enjoy seeing a deceased 20"er to start the day (pic 1).
Pic 2 shows a brown that was working on its tan.
Pic 3 shows a big'en sitting on the bottom in an impossible spot to cast to…"soooo Letort".
Pic 4, an even bigger brown in a tougher spot…soooo smart.

Pic 5 shows the only cicada I have seen this year. Lots of hoppers and bumble bees. I tried to grab a hopper to feed one of the big ones, but the jungle is soooo thick it is more difficult than you would think using a steelhead sized net.

Muskrat, water snakes, sucker, and way too much sun.

I really only had one cooperative fish out of the 30 different of all sizes I saw or spooked. This is a normal day on the Letort.

I forgot my phone when I left the house in the morning…so as I explored parts of the stream that I had never been to before, I really should of had it. You walk the bank on this stream. You do not get into it. The Letort is known for its leg breaking holes on its banks, quicksand like bogs. To add to the fun, I got into a section that had dense plant life (thick underbrush and 5-6 foot tall weeds covered in bugs) then encountered a chain link fence with barbed wire on top. After being on the stream for 3.5 in the sun…my anemia started to flare up. So I was up stream without iPhone GPS…to tell me a way out, and without energy. So I started walking in the direction of civilization and ended up being circled back to the way I entered, not intensionally.

A good time. Pretty much had my butt kicked and handed to me. I would do it again…(but with a phone and a snack/water supply).

Attachments

• P9140862_R.jpg
    P9140862_R.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 12
  • P9140863_R.jpg
    P9140863_R.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 7
  • P9140866_R.jpg
    P9140866_R.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 4
  • P9140867_R.jpg
    P9140867_R.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P9140874_R.jpg
    P9140874_R.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 5
Sounds (and looks) like all is well and normal for Letort. Getting around that stream in summer is indeed a tough slog.

I think the worm fishermen are doing OK. I saw two 5 lb. browns added this summer to the Big Fish Contest.

Are you sure it wasn't low blood sugar?

The young man in the contest fishes in just one spot that is the easiest spot on the stream. I have caught several larger than are listed (not on worms and not eaten or mounted). His days are numbered…just sayin

Autoimmune issues, anemic and improper breakfast/prep…resulting in bad blood.

Back