Letort vs Yellow Breeches

Geno28

Geno28

I'll be at Allenberry for a weekend getaway and hope to sneak off and do some fishing. I've never fished the area and trying to see where best to focus my efforts in the short time I have. I'm hoping to throw some streamers with the rain coming and looking for the best advice on if I should focus on Letort or YB. I know Allenberry is right on the YB, but I've always wanted to fish the Letort and preferably get into Wild Trout. If staying on YB for wild trout, everything I've read seems to recommend the lower waters? Any recommendations or even other waters in the area would be appreciated.

If you’re at Allenberry and never fished the Letort you owe it to yourself to make the short drive over and experience it. Pay homage to Charlie and Vince at their monuments in the meadow, take the skunk and head back to the Yellow Breeches for stocked fish to ease your pain. Not sure about the lower Breeches but if you go up to the headwaters around Huntsdale you’ll find plenty of eager small wild browns.

If you’re at Allenberry and never fished the Letort you owe it to yourself to make the short drive over and experience it. Pay homage to Charlie and Vince at their monuments in the meadow, take the skunk and head back to the Yellow Breeches for stocked fish to ease your pain. Not sure about the lower Breeches but if you go up to the headwaters around Huntsdale you’ll find plenty of eager small wild browns.
Totally agree with McSneek on his reply. If you happen to get into a fish on the fabled Letort, so much the better! Both are great fisheries that you need to fish, but they are so very different.

For other water, Big Spring is in Newville. Not that far of a drive from Boiling Springs

For that matter, check out the neglected cousin Green Springs.

If you can hack it there, you won't be as miserable slogging through the mud at the Letort. ;)

Pay homage to Charlie and Vince at their monuments in the meadow, take the skunk and head back to the Yellow Breeches for stocked fish to ease your pain.
I have always wanted to fish the Letort, but have never made it. These words are exactly how I play it out in my head, so I never bit the bullet for the drive (im near Pittsburgh)

I have always wanted to fish the Letort, but have never made it. These words are exactly how I play it out in my head, so I never bit the bullet for the drive (im near Pittsburgh)
Others may disagree but if you happen to be driving through the area and have the time get off the turnpike at Carlisle you’re not far from the Letort in fact, it goes under the turnpike just east of the interchange. In a situation like that maybe check it out but I would never drive all the way from Pittsburgh to fish it.

There are far, far better trout fishing opportunities in PA if you are going to drive that distance.

Figured I'd post an update after everyone’s helpful advice. With the weather and only being able to sneak away for a couple of hours to fish, I decided to hit the Yellow Breeches downstream from Allenberry. I got into about 5 Browns between about 12-16 inches streamer fishing. Definitely will have to be back and still looking to make a proper trip to Letort and other spring creeks in the area. All fish were taken on maddins chromatic peanut, but did see some fish rising despite the rain.

1DDC43C2 E6A7 44EF B7C8 0030FDBFB933
68E75337 D0D8 4A60 AD57 C62DDB256AEF

Did you see any evidence of spawning browns? This is the time and there is natural reproduction there.

Did you see any evidence of spawning browns? This is the time and there is natural reproduction there.
This was a month ago around October 1 so no spawning action at that time.

I see a ton of evidence of spawners and a ton of wild browns further up on the breeches, mount holly and higher up. Heck I catch enough YOY browns to prove that.

Back