Lehigh Valley

laurelrun

laurelrun

I was hoping to take my nephew fishing this weekend near Allentown. Anyone have experience or knowledge on if or how quickly we will see streams back to a fishable level? Is the little Lehigh a better bet than say Jordan or others nearby?

Keep checking the USGS gages. The smaller flows generally will be in better shape earlier.

The local streams are raging with no break in sight rain-wise until Saturday. We've got over 2" in the past two days.

If I was you, I'd pick another weekend.

I think we might need to pick another year the way the rain has been falling this year.

Unfortunately SEPA has gotten more later with this round of storms. I don't see the LL clearing up until about Monday at earliest. Maybe later if we get the additional storms forecast for tonight.

I,checked the Jordan last evening. Some visibility along the edges and was high, but not exceptionally high. Two guys were fishing. Water was muddy, but not like chocolate milk. Whether it is fishable with flies by the weekend will depend on what happens later today and tonight. Fishes well with nymphs with a bit of a stain to the water. With more than a stain, I go with spinning equipment and a lot of flash. I like nymphing when the Jordan is 2.5-3 ft at Allentown. As for the Ltl Lehigh, it was chocolate milk muddy yesterday.

You guys are the best! My nephew has been my regular companion on mentored youth days until this year. He shot up to 6’ and looks like a grown man now and we didn’t get out for the opener . This is a special weekend for us, marking the 10 year passing of my fishing buddy, my dad. So I want to give it a go of it’s remotely fishable. He already understands the difference between fishing and catching. Let’s pray for a little sunshine and falling flows.

Mike, PM sent too. Thanks!

Walked over the Broad St bridge in Bethlehem early this afternoon. The Monocacy was clear, which after last Night's rain suggested that it runs off pretty quickly. Then there was a downpour around 2:30 and when I walked back over the bridge around 3:30 the creek was like chocolate milk.

It's been a long time since I fished that area last...actually grew up in Center Valley, PA. Cedar creek in either Union Terrace Park (if you want stockers) or Cedar Creek Park (wild butter) might be fishable. Trout Creek within Trout Creek Park should be fishable and well worth a look-see.

Regarding Jordan Ck water levels for nymphing that I mentioned in #6 above, I should have said that I find the river stage at Allentown to be suitable for my high sticking, no indicator technique at no more than a gage reading of about 2.5 ft. This morning the creek is very muddy.

Many thanks, all who chimed in. We had a nice evening on Jordan creek. Flows were a little strong yet and the water was cloudy. No fish to hand but some quality time with my nephew that left us both wanting more. And thanks to Mike, we have some new water to explore!

Back