Lehigh Valley fishing this Thursday

Millsertime

Millsertime

I rarely leave the Poconos for fishing but I have a Dr Appointment Thursday later afternoon in Allentown (Cedar Crest Blvd) and plan to kill the whole day down there. I have fished the Little Lehigh some but haven't given it a true effort yet. Besides that, I've fished the Bushkill special regs section near Crayola a few years ago. That's about the extent of my LV fishing experience.

Curious what some LV regulars would recommend for me to fish based on current conditions there. LL, Saucon, Monocacy, Bushkill, etc...? I'd like to stay in the LV vicinity and streamers and dries are most preferred. Nymphing is always a last resort. Thanks in advance.

Millsertime wrote:
I rarely leave the Poconos for fishing but I have a Dr Appointment Thursday later afternoon in Allentown (Cedar Crest Blvd) and plan to kill the whole day down there. I have fished the Little Lehigh some but haven't given it a true effort yet. Besides that, I've fished the Bushkill special regs section near Crayola a few years ago. That's about the extent of my LV fishing experience.

Curious what some LV regulars would recommend for me to fish based on current conditions there. LL, Saucon, Monocacy, Bushkill, etc...? I'd like to stay in the LV vicinity and streamers and dries are most preferred. Nymphing is always a last resort. Thanks in advance.

I would guess fishing the LV would be a game time decision, given the huge amount of snow on the ground, near record high temps plus a major rain event on Wednesday. I would check in here on Thursday morning and check the USGS for flow info.

Good luck, hope you get out.

I doubt that you will be doing any fishing on Thursday. If you combine all the melted snow plus heavy rain, you will get a bunch of streams not worth fishing.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the upcoming rain on Wed although high water sounds great. My streamer fishing has been best on days like that this winter so far. I'll check the gauges Thur morning.

I fished the Bushkill yesterday afternoon starting at the Crayola plant and then hit a few more spots downstream. For what its worth the water was crystal clear with good flow but that's all going to change on Wednesday. I saw a lot of midges flying around mostly white and tan and did see a bunch of fish rising in 1 spot but I couldn't get any bites out of them.

The cold water from the melted snow could really put off the fish.

I am not certain that this is the case, but it is possible that Cedar Creek runs off faster than the other larger limestoners.

Cedar Creek was in great condition today for having just rained yesterday. It was slightly off color and running what I'm assuming is quite a bit quicker than normal. I fished micro buggers from around 1230-1445. Landed 2 small browns and missed a handful of others. I can't imagine fishing this tiny creek when the water is clear and normal. It has got to be quite technical even if there is a hatch.

Thanks to the individuals with their information they provided on this thread and in PM.

Attachments

• 20160204_132009.jpg
    20160204_132009.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 6
^Nice!

Back