Lehigh River wading

J

jgish92

USGS gauge at Lehighton shows about 575 today. A cheat sheet I found on line indicates this might make the Lehigh wadable. Can anyone give me their thoughts on wadability at this flow in the Jim Thorpe-Lehighton-Bowmanstown area? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Yes, lots of experience with that. You can wade lots of areas of the river now that you never could at normal flows. There are still deep spots, but it's not hard to navigate around them. Flies are popping and fish are rising - get out there. The lehigh is always a bit of a challenge to wade, so take a wading stick and wear studded felts.

I’ve tried, even at dead low Summer flows below 300 cfs. It was lifting me off my feet at knee depth. The gradient is deceptive. Below Jim Thorpe it’s probably a little more manageable gradient wise, but frankly, I wouldn’t wade the Gorge if it was bone dry.

With round rocks, it pays to have felt and spikes, and a staff, but those are great flow to get around the river, and a rare treat this time of year. Gotta take the good with the bad with this drought, I guess. This is one example of good?

Yes, you can wade at those flows. I found brand new felts with carbide spikes to be of little help. I understand that 'foot tractor ' bottoms work pretty well. It's an exhausting river to wade and a river where I have no problem telling someone to wear a PFD when wading. Be careful, be smart and you'll get some decent fish. Let us know how you did AND how your knees, ankles and groin feel 48 hours after the trip 😁😂

Yes, you can wade at those flows. I found brand new felts with carbide spikes to be of little help. I understand that 'foot tractor ' bottoms work pretty well. It's an exhausting river to wade and a river where I have no problem telling someone to wear a PFD when wading. Be careful, be smart and you'll get some decent fish. Let us know how you did AND how your knees, ankles and groin feel 48 hours after the trip 😁😂
As opposed to NOT having felt or spikes?? I disagree. When I fish the Lehigh or Brodhead with felt, I feel like spiderman, especially compared to the alternatives in rubber traction. Have not tried the foot tractors, but I do think more forgiving aluminum spikes would be better for a Lehigh regular over carbide. I know there are some guys like Tigereye who are river sharpies that might weigh in, too.

Though they might be really smart and make long casts from the bank!

Just go wade fish Penns with everyone else in the state 😂

It is very unusual to have the Lehigh at a wade friendly level this time of year. Basic rule of thumb - - releases double by the time you get to Lehighton. a 250cfs release translates to decent made levels down stream. Of course some areas are better than others. Just walk to rails to trail and if you find decent water you will most likely find fish. A lot of wild fish and a lot of hold overs so far this year. I do not think some of private outfits have stocked yet so the fish weathered last summer pretty well imo.

Is the temp gauge back up and running on White Haven USGS?

Gauge is still not working. Don't fret...the water is cold enough.

I'll be there tomorrow from around 9am-3pm around the Rockport area. Yall be sure to say hi if you see someone riding the trail on a black bike holding a fly rod.

Felts are a must. I have korkers and tried the spikes. The spike bottoms seem to be stiffer than the felts and dont contour to those round rocks as well as the felts. Could be me....just my experience. When fishing NY Salmon river spikes are much preferrable due to the flattish rocks.

Right now the big issue is the algae covered rocks ( low water, warm sunny days) making things really interesting.

Everyone has their own comfort level fishing the river. As i predominantly fish the gorge area, (FEW downstream to a bit below Penn Haven Junction), 750 CFS and below is decent fishing and tolerable wade levels. 500 is good fishing and wading is much easier. 250 and below is fantastic. Can reach most spots and fishing is most enjoyable. Still slippery in all flows. Wade staff is a piece of eqpt i consider a must.

Depending on you testicular mass, you can wade at flows above these but know that water depth can be 1 ft and 2 steps away it 4 ft or more.

My advice for someone fishing the river for first time is wade no deeper than your knees and and stay in one area and learn it. Next time try a different area. Run and gunning the river is afools errand. TAKE YOUR TIME and dont try to cross.

I fished in the gorge today. Flows of 250 from the dam are very unusual in the spring. Water at mid-gorge (Drakes Creek access) was about 58 degrees at 2:00. Plenty of caddis and a few QGs. Not many risers, but we found and fooled a few. Then went to just below the dam and the water was 48. In the big pool by the parking lot below the first gauge there were plenty of risers through the afternoon and especially right at dusk. After wading in the pool for only 20 minutes, my legs were almost numb. And my poor Brittany was standing on the bank shivering.
True, wading is never easy on the Lehigh, but right now is as good as it gets.
I have tried the wading soles with aluminum bars from Korkers. They worked well, it seemed to me a bit better than felt. Problem I have found is that they don't last real long. For me, they wear out after just a few outings. I wade agressively and walk a lot, so ymmv.

I waded in the gorge below Rockport yesterday. Not sure what the flow was but it was totally manageable. You just have to be careful and alert and choose your spots wisely. My folstaf definitely came in handy.

Back