Lehigh River Rockport Area

Tigereye

Tigereye

Fished last night from 6-dusk. Water temp was ideal at 63. Sulfurs, Cahill's, what I call lime stonefly, and a larger stone about size 8 which I couldn't ID where all flitting merrily about.

Though there were a variety of bugs only a few were on water and very few fish were rising. I blind fished for about an hour just hitting foam lines and likely area but only took 1 on a BHPN dropper.

I kept the same rig Lt Cahill with the PN dropper but changed tactics to just fish for rising fish. I went high on the bank and watched up and down stream for risers. About every 5-10 minutes I would spot one and work that specific fish.

On occasions like this I find you spook less fish than blind casting, save your arm, and get an opportunity to learn more about your fishing area if you are observant.

By evenings end I had taken 5 additional fish and fished over 4 or 5 others I could not rise. All fish were on the Cahill.

What I learned watching is that on this nite the fish seemed to be cruising like one would expect on a lake. A fish would rise at the top of a glide then again down stream abit then again downstream abit more till he ran out of room. A few minutes later he would be at the top again.

Usually a fish will just tilt his pec's let the water take him up to the surface while he eyes the fly, take the fly then tilt his pec's again, go back to the bottom and then swim up to the original holding lie. Tonite once he ate the fly he would go back to the bottom and stay put. Why?

My guess is that takes less energy than continually swimming back to the original lie. When fly activity is moderate it makes sense. If there are a lot of flies on the water getting back to a prime lie quickly would give you more opportunity to take more food. Energy in >energy out.

Any one see this before? Don't know if my conclusion is right or wrong but I'm sticking to it until someone gives me a better explanation.

Tigereye wrote:
Fished last night from 6-dusk. Water temp was ideal at 63. Sulfurs, Cahill's, what I call lime stonefly, and a larger stone about size 8 which I couldn't ID where all flitting merrily about.

Though there were a variety of bugs only a few were on water and very few fish were rising. I blind fished for about an hour just hitting foam lines and likely area but only took 1 on a BHPN dropper.

I kept the same rig Lt Cahill with the PN dropper but changed tactics to just fish for rising fish. I went high on the bank and watched up and down stream for risers. About every 5-10 minutes I would spot one and work that specific fish.

On occasions like this I find you spook less fish than blind casting, save your arm, and get an opportunity to learn more about your fishing area if you are observant.

By evenings end I had taken 5 additional fish and fished over 4 or 5 others I could not rise. All fish were on the Cahill.

What I learned watching is that on this nite the fish seemed to be cruising like one would expect on a lake. A fish would rise at the top of a glide then again down stream abit then again downstream abit more till he ran out of room. A few minutes later he would be at the top again.

Usually a fish will just tilt his pec's let the water take him up to the surface while he eyes the fly, take the fly then tilt his pec's again, go back to the bottom and then swim up to the original holding lie. Tonite once he ate the fly he would go back to the bottom and stay put. Why?

My guess is that takes less energy than continually swimming back to the original lie. When fly activity is moderate it makes sense. If there are a lot of flies on the water getting back to a prime lie quickly would give you more opportunity to take more food. Energy in >energy out.

Any one see this before? Don't know if my conclusion is right or wrong but I'm sticking to it until someone gives me a better explanation.

I have no answers, but some great observations there ^

Many times we get so wrapped up in trying to catch fish we seldom step back to observe and analyze like you did last night. Doing so makes FFing much more interesting and much less mechanical.

Thanks for the post.

Hey mod's went back to check this post. Title should read Rockport not Stockport. Dang autocorrect.

Thanks

Yes, they do cruise in the Lehigh. Many big waters I've found fish cruise in the pattern you describe. Maybe it has to do with the push of water and they've learned that this method uses less energy. The water does push in this stretch of the Lehigh. Good report. Glad you found some fish.

Question,were they Rainbows? It seems they do that cruising thing more than Browns.

They were all browns but one. As these fish were most likely compliments of the PFBC, most of the rainbows are in the freezers by this time of year. They and the brookies seem to be the first to go ????.

As the waters warm in the lower stretches the nice rainbows provided by the LRSA will begin making appearances as they seek the colder waters of the tribs in the area ie Mud Run, hickory, fourth and hayes.f

All I'm going to say is someone keeps dumping steroids in that river....

fish were most likely compliments of the PFBC

They only wish.

Yes I've seen this many times on the Lehigh, especially long foams lines with some depth. Krayfish dubbed a move called the "Stevie Wonder"....its like they bob their heads back a forth, sometimes up to 6-8 foot across. Right when you're fly is drifting in their line, they move over to nab a natural across from it. Can be frustrating, especially on heavy hatches of olives.
I think timing is more important than patterns many times. Just gotta get it in their face when they're looking.

Tigereye wrote:
They were all browns but one. As these fish were most likely compliments of the PFBC, most of the rainbows are in the freezers by this time of year. They and the brookies seem to be the first to go ????.

As the waters warm in the lower stretches the nice rainbows provided by the LRSA will begin making appearances as they seek the colder waters of the tribs in the area ie Mud Run, hickory, fourth and hayes.f

Fished the area last week and found nothing BUT rainbows...

2 browns and 2 rainbows last night in same area as original post. Bows at head of runs browns in the tail.

Weird nite. Saw Lt and chalk Cahills around. Started w #14 Lt cahill and only had refusals. Went to a # 16 with same refusals. Switched to chalk cahill and more refusals. Frustration mounting.

Lengthened tippet and dropped to 6x with the chaulk cahill. No dice.

I usually can turn a fish in such conditions with a #18 Cdc sulfur emerger. That change seemed to turn the tables then I ran out of daylight.

For some reason the river is being very stingey in giving up fish this year. For me anyway.

I haven't made it down to Rockport at all this season, but I did enjoy reading your report.

Back