Lehigh River - Poconos

Out4Trout

Out4Trout

Hey everyone,

As stated before, I love to fish small streams for brookies but feel I might be missing out on some opportunities on the Lehigh. I am very intimidated by this river and could use some help figuring it out. I dont mind getting out and exploring but again, am very intimidated by the flow of this mighty river as I lost a brother some years back to a drowning in the Bowmanstown area when he was floating down on tubes with some friends. I grew up around here but ever since that experience have stayed away from the mighty Lehigh. I feel it is time I face that head on and get back out to try and learn this great resource we have and would love the opportunity to tag along with someone when they are up this way.

I welcome your comments and/or thoughts.

Out4Trout wrote:
Hey everyone,

As stated before, I love to fish small streams for brookies but feel I might be missing out on some opportunities on the Lehigh. I am very intimidated by this river and could use some help figuring it out. I dont mind getting out and exploring but again, am very intimidated by the flow of this mighty river as I lost a brother some years back to a drowning in the Bowmanstown area when he was floating down on tubes with some friends. I grew up around here but ever since that experience have stayed away from the mighty Lehigh. I feel it is time I face that head on and get back out to try and learn this great resource we have and would love the opportunity to tag along with someone when they are up this way.

I welcome your comments and/or thoughts.

Fishing is really great on the River as soon as the water warms in the next week or two. The entire River should start to fish well. You live right around the corner from the Lehigh, just take a ride along it to check it out. You'll surely see many anglers parked along the river fishing and be able to to talk to them. Just pick a spot that looks good to you and give it a try.

Here are places to fish and flow info:

Lehigh River Fishing Access

Lehigh River Flow

Lehigh River Flow Management

Good luck.

I just got back form fishing the Lehigh with a buddy of mine. We parked off the D and L trail near the tannery and fished from just below where hayes creek comes in and up to just below the tannery. In 5 hours out we fished about 3 1/2 hours the rest of the time was walking or slugging down some coffee. Water temps were just under 40 degrees and John caught 1 brown trout about 10 inches and I managed to pull in 1 sucker. water flow wasn't to bad but still colder than i like. I moved here 2 years ago and got a real rude awakening when it comes to the Lehigh. I have always done well on small streams but the Lehigh is tough. changing water flows , rough for access , the slickest rocks i have ever seen. All I can say is give it a try, don't get discouraged if you don't have a great day and try again. The thing about the Lehigh is that it is one of the most scenic , peaceful and rewarding rivers you will ever find.

I have the LR quite a bit,so here's my 2 cents:
1)one of the most difficult and deceptive rivers(current and bottom stones) I have ever waded in 50 years of ff!!.So wear good boots,carry a wading staff,check flows before you wade,go slow at first.

2)Fish with someone ,especially someone who knows the spots you want to fish(PM me if you want me to personally show you some of the spots I fish)

afishinado and redneck gave you good info

Enjoy,Tom C

Early season is very tough on the Lehigh, I usually wait until water temps come up a bit and some of the better hatches begin. There are plenty more access spots that aren't on the map. If you're lucky enough to befriend a local as I was they can guide you.

I would recommend cleats on your boots and a wading staff at all times. A good staff and cleats can help you get up and down the banks easier as well.

Just to add to what others have said.

If you are on facebook, check out the ACOE posts. It will give you daily release information.

https://www.facebook.com/fewalterdam

Wadability depends on what you are comfortable with regard to levels. From the Dam to Sandy Run anything under 400 CFS is good, with 400 cfs getting sketchy and 250-300 cfs a nice level.

If the Lehighton gauge reads 800-900 CFS that level you can get around but anything lower is great wading. Personally, I like 700 cfs at Lehighton

At any level be careful, bring a wading stick, studded boots preferred, fishing with a buddy is always better anyway.

Sorry to hear about your brother. Good luck and be patient.

LR

Sorry to hear of your brother.

Good info above, I suggest you try the section right below the dam. Easy access as the direct access road goes right to the stream side. Check FEW dam Facebook page for weekends they do Fishing Friendly releases. (I think that is every weekend in April) That will allow for what is manageable wading. Anywhere else below Whitehaven on the river is going to be picking up a lot of run off this year and will be on the higher side (really tough wading) and I suspect we will have that continue into late spring. The section below the dam while stocked does have the occasional nice wild brown move up from below, and offers good hatches, pocket water, and easy wading slow water. Good luck!

Thank you all for your suggestions and information. I look forward to meeting up with some of you and sharing ideas and fishing stories : )

Tight Lines !!

Back