Lehigh River Flows

Tigereye

Tigereye

For some odd reason they are holding back water at FEW Dam. Up 50 ft in 2 days.

Flow at White Haven a bit over 100 CFM Which is extremely low, even for this time of year.

I can only assume alot of flow from feeders affecting downstream locations Allentown Easton etc.

You are correct, Joe.
They’ll let it rip in a few days to get back to the winter pool of 1300 feet

It's 9k in Lehighton right now. Looks like it was almost 14k earlier. That's a lot of water for that gauge, as I'm sure you know.

Pretty typical for a flood event, the whole purpose of the dam is flood control. At one point yesterday the incoming flow was 9k, that would have made things significantly worse downstream if they werent holding that water back. The flow was 22k at walnutport and thats WITH all that water held back

Correct. The reservoir acted like it is supposed to. It will minimize downstream flooding but it does not eliminate it. I believe FEW controls like 20% of the watershed. Right now the lake is about 1,370' elevation. The reservoir held back 70'. Lake was at 1,300' this past weekend. The spillway is 1,450'. And the drought storage level is 1,392. There is a lot of room in that thing.

Once downstream flooding subsides the Corps will open the gates. Probably looking at like a 5,000cfs+ release at some point in order to pull the lake back down to the its preferred winter pool level of 1,300.'

Pretty big contrast to this side of the state. Our area just got hit with a mandatory water conservation order. Reservoir is very low. Even after last weeks rain.

This was a coastal storm and the closer to the ocean the worse the rain. Over here in NJ we had floods on 12/11 and then again 12/18. This time many major roads and bridges are closed; 2/3 of roads leading out of my town were flooded yesterday. Seeing flood stage every week is getting old.

like I said, night and day.

You guys didn't schedule a PAFF Xmas JAM did you ?

This was a coastal storm and the closer to the ocean the worse the rain. Over here in NJ we had floods on 12/11 and then again 12/18. This time many major roads and bridges are closed; 2/3 of roads leading out of my town were flooded yesterday. Seeing flood stage every week is getting old.
This has become the norm for a lot of areas along the east coast. It's a shame.
I have a buddy who was offered $1,000,000 for his property in NJ 10 years ago, he said now he'd have trouble selling it for much less.

This has become the norm for a lot of areas along the east coast. It's a shame.
I have a buddy who was offered $1,000,000 for his property in NJ 10 years ago, he said now he'd have trouble selling it for much less.

Sounds like a pretty anecdotal example. Lets keep the thread on topic

Back