Lehigh in the Fall

SBecker

SBecker

Most people chase trout on the Lehigh in the height of the spring hatches. I enjoy the spring as well. However, between the yo-yo releases and high water it can be difficult to hit. In the past few years the low water in the fall and the Iso hatches have made this colorful season as my favorite on the Lehigh.

Jay348 gave me a shout earlier in the week to see if I wanted to meet up. We have tried a bunch of times in the past, but for whatever reasons it never worked. Having started a new career, two kids playing baseball on 4 different teams, and working my other two jobs, I had not been out in probably over a month. Seeing that my Sunday was actually free I decided to jump at a morning of fishing on the Lehigh. I had not fished the Lehigh since middle of spring, so I was not sure what to expect.

Jay and I met up and I took him to one of my favorite nymphing sections. Figured the morning would not have many bugs, so I wanted to give him the best chance to catch fish. Neither of us hooked anything. I did notice a few sporadic light colored mayflys and a few October caddis. No fish rising.

Decided to jump down river a little to one of my favorite dry fly sections to see if anything was going on. Got there and I saw two splashy rises way out of range. Decided to throw a dry dropper set up to no avail. Jay on the other hand had a nice bow grab his Iso on top.

We had about an hour twenty left before Jay had to head out. Decided to take him to one last spot. We shot down river further and arrived at our destination. When we got to the water we found a gentleman fly fishing the run. I asked how he was doing to which he replied ok. I always like to ask what has been productive and so on. Said he was throwing a hellgramite and that he caught a nice one and lifted up a 15 inch brown hanging from a metal stringer. Just kinda laughed and explained we would head 100 yards down the run and fish. In no time Jay and I were into fish. Skittering Iso's, swinging Iso's, perfect drift Iso's, and the pt dropper took fish. We probably caught 10 fish between us in the first 20 minutes. I then moved further down to a slick flat and crap went wild. I caught a fish almost every cast. Now I won't lie, they were almost all trout, but the sweet #censor# river chub and a fat sunfish did fall victims as well. I lost count how many I caught. I think I did land 2 rainbows that were wild. I think a first for me and a pig brown or two. Both larger then average browns were stockies and looked like t-rexs.

Jay had to head back to Philly,so I decided to walk out with him. It was tough walking away from such good fishing! A day like Sunday reminded me why I love the Lehigh in the fall. There is a possibility I have a free Saturday and am looking forward to hitting the river again!

I suggest exploring the lower river in the fall. The wading is easier when the water is low!

Sounds like a blast Becker,Ill be up there Friday if everything works out.

Hey thanks again for showing me around! Couldn't have asked for a better morning. You nailed the report, so I'll chime in with fish pics...

Can anyone id the sunfish? Longear maybe?

Attachments

• LR1.jpg
    LR1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
  • LR2.jpg
    LR2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2
  • LR4.jpg
    LR4.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4
  • LR3.jpg
    LR3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 3
Wish I could make it up this weekend, the Pope is making me head south for some salt water.

To say I'm amped for another year of fall fly fishing on the Lehigh would be a massive understatement. Way to find them Becker & Jay! Funny I would not have figured trout hanging in that lower section so close to the tail end of summer.

Good stuff! From what I gather the fish held over very well this past summer. I've heard of some great reports. Can't beat 40+ mi of trout water. Olives, isos, sulphurs (stenos) and october caddis. Even if you don't catch fish - the scenery is great and you will see bugs. Roll some rocks - you'd be astonished.

jay348 wrote:
Can anyone id the sunfish? Longear maybe?

Looks like a standard redbreast sunfish from what I can see in the pic.

Really nice fish. I agree with FI...the Sunny is a Redbreast. A good sized one too.

Back