legs or not

bowmandjk

bowmandjk

A friend of mine thinks it makes a difference and i dont. I know we have some very informed tyers so i thought id ask. When im tying my beadhead prince nymphs i leave the hackle off for steelheads but i do ty in hackle for trout ,i think trout are more selective than steelies and i seem to catch alot of steelies this way and i use the prince as a dropper

I think the speed of the water determines the need for detail. The faster the water you fish the less detail you need. I tie all mine with legs and just tied some with a wrap of soft hackle to try. Movement on a fly is never a bad thing.

Rick

Other then stoneflies I don't have a nymph in box the has legs. They take to much time to tie in.

RowJimmy wrote:
Other then stoneflies I don't have a nymph in box the has legs. They take to much time to tie in.

But ya got plenty of guard hairs. The guys that dub too neatly should add legs. Those of us that know better have the luxury of skipping them.

I do about 50/50. I have so many flies that time isn't an issue.

I also think the stream makes a difference in legs or not. For instance. Honey Creek, I can tie on flies with or without and have the same results. However, if on Spring Creek my flies have legs.

MKern wrote:
I do about 50/50. I have so many flies that time isn't an issue.

I also think the stream makes a difference in legs or not. For instance. Honey Creek, I can tie on flies with or without and have the same results. However, if on Spring Creek my flies have legs.

Why? Wild fish on spring are smarter then else where?

They see a ton more flies than your typical wild brown.
And in my mind every little bit helps; for realism sake.

There's also a lot more food on the conveyerbelt and they have their pickens. So if legs provide a touch more realism, plus movement...legs it is.

Also, on your typical stream that sees little pressure fish hit on typical the first CORRECT presentation.

Streams like Spring, which see more anglers, it takes some convincing.

If it makes you happy go for it man but the fish in spring aren't any different then any other stream in my opinion. I think spring is the easiest limestoner in the state!

bowman,
I think it's really a matter of personal preferance and how one feels about the look of their flies. Personally, I like detailed flies and almost always put rubber legs on my stoneflies and other larger nymphs. On the smaller ones, like scuds, I'll usually just pick out guard hairs. I do think that legs (or the suggestion of them) is important on surface terrestrials but insofar as nymphs are concerned....I'm not so sure.

iI personally prefer legs...animals ,bugs both{terrestrial and aquatic}have em,and my other recckoning is this ..you're a doood{lol} when was the last time you chose a woman that had no legs?
All my nymphs get legs or hackled or palmered .
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Don't bother with legs on teh little nymphs I've tied, pick out the guard hair and move on.

Back